Is it possible to control the SLUG through an Email message

  • Rob Conway
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2006
      I have my UNSLung 6.8  SLUG monitoring my fish tank and I now want to move onto controlling various devices.  I have investigated cgi scripts which work OK however worried about security.  My SLUG will provide an output contact (via 1wire) which will be sent into a PIC processor which provides the real-time controls.  I was thinking to get the PIC to monitor a series of contact pulses from the SLUG before turning anything on or off.

      Is it posible to setup a mail server/client on the slug and if I email the slug a specifc (ie exact) phrase in the subject line it will go off and start a script.  Or is their another secure way.  I am also very concerned with not loading my slug up too much as it has alot of trend analysis to do at various times together with its web server thhtp.

      best regards
    • Victor Snesarev
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 24, 2006
        Hi Rob,

        I am not a security expert by any means, but port knocking came to mind. You
        may find this wiki page interesting:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SecurityByPortKnocking

        Victor