Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: boot time of unSlung6.8 twice that of 5.x

  • Travis Bell
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 23, 2006
      Hey guys, thought I would chip in.

      I am using a 512MB Flash drive as my main disk and it takes maybe, 3 mins to boot up on a restart. The only thing I have running however is, Asterisk.

      The first time I rebooted after installing everything it took in the 5-7 min range for sure, I was worried it wasn't even coming back up but every subsequent reboot has been in the 3 min range. For that first boot I attributed it to Linux checking the disk and probably repairing some stuff and then not having to do so since.

      Cheers,

      --
      Travis Bell

      On 23-Aug-06, at 2:32 AM, lukedow11 wrote:

      I am using a 1 gig flash drive as my unslung drive and it takes about
      5 minutes to boot up with unslung 6.8 (i did a clean install instead
      of an upgrade). I have also noticed that when it beeps to say that it
      is ready, my lighty webserver is still not quite ready and still takes
      a couple extra minutes to become available.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:

      > Well, it is partly curiosity, and partly the desire to know if
      something is wrong.
      > I use notebook drive (to unsling to), which are the 5400rpm type
      with 8MB
      > buffer, not too slow. Unslung5.x took about 2min, and unslung 6.8
      is taking
      > anywhere from 7min to 11 mins!! I have only one drive, the system
      drive on
      > each machine.
      >
      > 1. Are people seeing this type of a difference?
      > 2. How long is it taking for others using notebook drives?
      >
      > Cordially, Chacko
      >
      > On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:32:37 -0500, Mike \(mwester\) wrote:
      >
      > > BTW, just what is driving the concern about boot times? Is it general
      > > curiousity, or is this a serious consideration?
      > >
      > > I ask because as work proceeds on Unslung, boot time has not
      factored into
      > > any of the changes or considerations -- in fact there are some
      changes that
      > > have been proposed that could considerably lengthen boot times. Flash
      > > space, language support, disk support are all considerations, but
      I don't
      > > recall boot time every being mentioned!
      > >
      > > Mike (mwester)

      (Both