Re: FastCGI and max-procs

  • Roger Nilsson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "harmaarts" <harmaarts@...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Markus Lindenberg
      > <markus.lindenberg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > "max-procs" => 3,
      > > > "PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN" => "2",
      > > >

      > > this should give you 3*2 = 6 php processes. it is explained in
      > >
      > > http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/
      > > FrequentlyAskedQuestions#HowmanyphpCGIprocesseswilllighttpdspawn

      That is not correct. You will get 3+3*2=9 processes with that
      configuration according to the wiki-page you are referring to.

      [quote]
      When lighttpd starts, it will launch min-procs parent php processes.
      Each parent process then pre-forks PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN child processes.
      For example, if min- and max-procs are 4 and PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN is 16,
      lighttpd will start 4 + 4 x 16 = 68 processes.
      [/quote]

      > I didnt read that, which is stupid. I modified the settings to spawn
      > 1*1 daemons but still I get more than one process! I backtracked in
      > some logs I made and found that with the previous settings I got 9
      > processes. Now it appears to spawn just two. Which is better than 9.
      > I'll see what happens.

      The number of processes that you are seeing are correct. With the math
      from above you will get 2 processes in this case (1+1*1).

      /Roger