Re: Debianslug, gcc-3.4, abi *** Solved ***

  • ppridt
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2006
      The reason for taking Etch instead of Sarge is the fact that in Etch
      it is possible to replace gcc-4.1 with gcc-3.4 which is needed in
      order to be compatible with the prebuilt kernel.

      I solved my problem as follows (in Etch):

      - apt-get remove gcc-4.1 gcc
      - apt-get install gcc-3.4
      - ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-3.4 /usr/bin/gcc
      - apt get install ... (all required packages to compile a kernel)
      - installed /usr/src/linux-2.6.16
      - copied defconfig from packages/linux/ixp4xx-kernel to
      /usr/src/linux-2.6.16/.config
      - started kernel compilation
      - stopped when scripts/mod/modpost was compiled

      Obviously all parameters were now correctly set.
      I was able to compile my kernel module with gcc-3.4 error free and
      could load it subsequently.
      Paul

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby"
      <list.nslu2-linux@...> wrote:

      > As I said, the official builds are done on Sarge, not Etch. The
      Makefile definitely works in Sarge (cause that's how the official
      binary release and package feeds are built). I'm very surprised the
      Makefile didn't work under Etch - I'm sure other people have built
      using Etch, Gentoo and other distros using the Makefile.
      > If there are problems with using it on Etch, please feel free to
      update the wiki page with an Etch section and contribute a patch to
      the Makefile.
      > If you just want to apply nslu2-linux patches to a standard kernel,
      then look in SVN at http://svn.slu2-linux.org/svnroot/kernel/ ...
      That's also usually built under Sarge.