DebianSlug and ethernet wierdness

  • David Given
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2006
      Yesterday my NSLU2, running native Debian, suffered from Random Spontaneous
      Computer Failure --- I rebooted it (to move it), and it wouldn't come up
      again. Still don't know why.

      As part of the recovery process, I decided to replace the firmware with a
      DebianSlug image as being the simplest way to get things running. About seven
      hours later, I *did* get things running, but some really odd stuff was going on...

      Firstly: my device is a firewall. It uses a RTL8150 USB-Ethernet widget
      plugged into one of the USB ports. After installing the appropriate package
      onto the flash of the device (without the hard disk installed, at this point),
      I then discovered that on reboot, it would come up with the ethernet ports in
      the wrong order --- that is, eth0 would be the RTL8150, and eth1 the ixp400.

      This is really annoying. I would like eth0 to be the ixp400, no matter what,
      because that's the port I do diagnostics on! Any suggestions as to how to
      force particular hardware devices to have particular names? My current
      workaround is to unplug the RTL8150, wait until the device becomes pingable
      over the ixp400, and then plug it in again.

      Secondly: after plugging in the hard disk, and booting Debian itself, even
      odder things happened. I eventually discovered the following ethernet devices:

      eth0: the ixp400, as expected
      eth1: unknown
      eth2_temp: the RTL8150

      I spent some time trying to figure out what eth1 was connected to --- still no
      idea. And why on earth is the USB ethernet showing up with such a funny name?

      --
      +- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
      +- www.cowlark.com --+ original)