Could you unsling an empty partition?

  • stopcastingporosity
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2004
      Okay, I was reading how people are reluctant to completely repartition
      and reformat their hard drives and was wondering whether it was
      possible to unsling an empty partition.

      I know, the partition still needs to be there, so my thinking was
      this-

      If people were truly attached to the contents of their hard drives,
      but they had a hundred (or more) free meg, they could use something
      like Ghost (or other partition moving utilities like parted) to make
      room for the NSLU2 partitions and number them properly. That would be
      any size for the primary, data, partition; >15M for the secondary,
      conf, partition; and some for the tertiary, swap, partition. And their
      original stuff would go in the last partition.

      Then all they'd need to do would be to format the first two partitions
      as ext3 somewhere else, plug the disk into the NSLU2 and execute the
      unsling command to copy the relevant files over to the conf partition.
      Set it up right and their original files would be available over the
      NSLU2.

      I could try it myself, but I'm too attached to the data on my hard
      drive to risk it not working.

      BTW- yeah, the mknod comand worked and I was able to mount my fat32
      partition on my NSLU2. I've even got diversion scripts to do it
      whenever the device boots up and start mt-daapd reading from a
      subdirectory of the fat32 partition. If only I could get mt-daapd to
      play nicely with iTunes (by enabling browse and query, I assume).
    • rwhitby
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2004
        On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:40:27 -0000, stopcastingporosity
        <stopcastingporosity@...> wrote:

        > Okay, I was reading how people are reluctant to completely repartition
        > and reformat their hard drives and was wondering whether it was
        > possible to unsling an empty partition.

        You still need to format the disk on the NSLU2 (which *will* blow
        away any partitioning you have done) before you can unsling. The
        unsling command only copies the files from the root of the ramdisk
        onto the conf partition. Note that the conf partition already has
        quite a few files on it which are created during the NSLU2 format
        process. These files (apart from the passwd file) are not touched by
        the unsling command, and are required for normal operation of the
        NSLU2.

        If you could work out how to create all those files without having to
        format the disk on the NSLU2, then you might be able to achieve your
        goal. If you do work this out, please write up a HowTo for the wiki.

        Note that Unslung does not touch anything in the data partition, so
        your files there should be safe. Also, if you follow the steps in the
        instructions to the letter, then it is not so important to use a
        virgin drive (as long as you've only done things through the web
        interface on that drive, then it should be fine to use as an unslung
        drive).

        -- Rod
      • Matt McNeill
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 17, 2004
          stopcastingporosity,

          Any chance you could update the Wiki how-to and include how you set up
          the scripts? see:

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 17, 2004
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Matt McNeill" <matt_mcneill@h...>
            wrote:
            > stopcastingporosity,
            >
            > Any chance you could update the Wiki how-to and include how you set
            up
            > the scripts? see:
            >
            > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive

            I'm a bit reluctant to put such instructions for a complete kludge in
            something official (as official as a wiki can get :) especially as I'm
            sure there's a better way of doing it.

            But I have no such qualms about in a mailing list :) so let me outline
            it here.

            Basically I put a script in the init.d directory that rc.unslung looks
            at. (that's where I'm confused- there are diversion scripts that are
            placed elsewhere, but I guess these are unslung scripts or something.
            How many scripts are there?)

            Anyway, I numbered the script less than the S60mt-daapd script already
            there since I've got mt-daapd accessing the files in that partition.
            It just uses the mknod command to make the /dev/sda4 device, then
            mounts it in a directory that I had previously made.

            I assume that the best/proper way to do this would be to completely
            get rid of the scripts and add an entry to fstab but I'm not sure how
            to get the device defined first.

            -mark

            PS- I figured out that my mt-daapd isn't playing nicely with iTunes
            because of corrupted MP3 file headers or whatever, now I'm having
            library issues.
          • stopcastingporosity
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 17, 2004
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, rwhitby <unslung@g...> wrote:

              > You still need to format the disk on the NSLU2 (which *will* blow
              > away any partitioning you have done) before you can unsling. The
              > unsling command only copies the files from the root of the ramdisk
              > onto the conf partition. Note that the conf partition already has
              > quite a few files on it which are created during the NSLU2 format
              > process. These files (apart from the passwd file) are not touched
              by
              > the unsling command, and are required for normal operation of the
              > NSLU2.

              Drat. I was hoping to use that method to clean up the mess I've made
              of my conf directory/partition.

              I guess you could just untar a clean conf image into the partition
              before unslinging it (heck you wouldn't really need to unsling it
              then), but I don't know how legitimate it would be to post such a tar
              file.
            • rwhitby
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 17, 2004
                On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:15:46 -0000, stopcastingporosity
                <stopcastingporosity@...> wrote:
                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Matt McNeill" <matt_mcneill@h...>
                > wrote:
                > > stopcastingporosity,
                > >
                > > Any chance you could update the Wiki how-to and include how you set
                > up
                > > the scripts? see:
                > >
                > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AttachAFAT32FormattedDrive
                >
                > I'm a bit reluctant to put such instructions for a complete kludge in
                > something official (as official as a wiki can get :) especially as I'm
                > sure there's a better way of doing it.

                Please feel free to put things in the wiki. If you're unsure of
                something, then just mark it as such. Someone else will try it out
                and add their opinion too. Over time, it will become polished and
                official. But we need to start with something other than a blank
                page.

                -- Rod
              • Matt McNeill
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 2004
                  Mark,

                  You don't need to worry about the 'officialdom' of the the Wiki
                  article - it is in the 'work in progress' section, basically collating
                  information required to mount FAT32 drives.

                  A lot of people have asked about the ability to do this, so that they
                  can still mount their drives from windows, or in my case mount a large
                  and pretty full drive to the NSLU2 without having to find another
                  equally large drive to decant the information to whilst it is being
                  reformatted to ext3.

                  It would be great to have your 'cutting edge' info documented there
                  for people to refer to and continue the work.

                  Thanks, Matt