Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: DebianSlug / Bootstrap - can't install openssh?

  • Rob Lockhart
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2006
      On 8/6/06, emm_is <emm_is@...> wrote:

      > Everything working fine so far, per that page, until I try this:
      >
      > "apt-get install openssh-server"
      >
      > I get this error message:
      >
      > useradd: invalid numeric argument 'nogroup'
      > adduser: `/usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/run/sshd -g nogroup -s
      > /usr/sbin/nologin -u 100 sshd' returned error code 3. Exiting.
      >

      > according to
      > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.bugs.general/122969/match=381394
      > there was a regression in passwd 4.0.18-1 which has now be updated to
      > 4.0.18.1-1 and now seems to work fine.

      Yes, I had problems with that too, until I installed the adduser-ng
      module. Then I could install openssh-server. Before then, I got the
      same message. In fact, you probably missed my post about this just
      Friday.

      It was only when I ran "aptitude" that I was able to see the entire
      reason for the failure, and an alternative for adduser (which worked).

      Now that my DebianSlug is up again (I switched to newer Seagate HDs),
      I doubt I'll be able to reinstall, except to perhaps a portable USB
      drive just as a test. Unless something was changed in regards to the
      passwd program as you said, maybe it was just a coincidence that it
      now works?

      Regards,
      -Rob