Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Adding a APC UPS to your Slug

  • CN
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2006
      On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 01:51:37 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:37:40 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:
      > > > "Kill-A-Watt" is the model name.
      > >
      > > I bought one of these meters, and it is a fine little meter. Thanks for
      > > introducing us to it...

      > BTW, a good rule of thumb is that it costs $1 per year
      > per watt of electricity ( here in california at 11.4 c/kwh) !! Some old
      > telephone wall warts might be costing you $20 per year, not to mention the waste of energy!
      >
      > Yeah, it's quite interesting. I lent the meter to some friends who
      > tried just about everything in their house...
      >
      > $1 per Watt per year is the rule of thumb I've been working from.
      > Apparently, 1 ton of coal makes 2500kWh, so there's another calc to
      > do. My computer at work uses 140W at idle (two Xeons! - 220W under
      > load), so that would be half a ton of coal a year if I didn't turn it
      > off at night. Annoys me when I see lots of people's machines on all
      > night just so they don't have to wait a minute in the morning for it
      > to start up.
      >
      > J.

      Well, another very easy thing to do is to at least turn off that monitor when you walk away from your computer. Most monitors these days can be configured to sleep when the user is not using the keyboard/mouse, and the power consumption might go down from 120 watts (crt type) to 5 or 10 when in sleep mode.

      NOTE!! By running those screen displays for ever, (which may be fun to watch for about 30 seconds :), the monitor never goes to sleep!!! The same person may think twice before giving the same $50 they waste to a charity :) :)

      BTW, if you computer is in an airconditioned place, the cooling of this 50watts might take another 100 watts of energy.

      Cordially, Chacko