Re: mencoder/mplayer

  • Simon Walls
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
      I found this which relates to compiling mplayer on the Slug:

      http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2004-October/030822.html

      October 2004... phew.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy" <the_orn@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Anyone up to compiling mencoder and mplayer for unslung? I've looked
      > around for it but been unable to find more than a few nibbles about it
      > on the mailing list.
      >
      > I'd really like to be able to convert my video files that are
      > mpeg4/mp3 with variable bit rate audio into mpeg4/mp3 with constant
      > bit rate audio. I'd also like to be able to take advantage of
      > mplayer's ability to download streaming audio to files.
      >
      > If you know of another solution to these problems on the slug, let me
      > know.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Rudy

    • Attila Csipa
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
        On Wednesday 02 August 2006 15:50, Simon Walls wrote:
        > I found this which relates to compiling mplayer on the Slug:
        > http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2004-October/030822.htm

        I had a complied mencoder at one point, but it was dead slow. The original
        poster mentioned only audio conversion, which might actually be doable but
        MPEG4/derivated recompression is an overnight task for the slug at best (DVD
        quality was <1fps, with lower quality, image size and simple mpeg encoding it
        was around 5fps).
      • Rudy Moore
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
          Audio conversion is all I'm trying to do. But even at 1fps if I were doing
          video, 20 hours to recode 40 minutes of show really doesn't bother me. It's
          something I can cron to have going in the background. When you think about it
          as a night-light (powerwise) that happens to be recoding a video program, it's
          still amazing.

          Can I get the mencoder executable from you? I haven't set up or researched
          cross compiling, much less compiling mplayer/mencoder.

          Thanks,
          Rudy

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Attila Csipa
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
            On Thursday 03 August 2006 17:30, Rudy Moore wrote:
            > Can I get the mencoder executable from you? I haven't set up or researched
            > cross compiling, much less compiling mplayer/mencoder.

            Unfortunately I had mplayer/mencoder compiled on a BE debianslug, which I have
            since replaced with a LE debian, but did not bother to recompile bc I did not
            need it :(
          • prabus
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 18, 2006
              until this is available, does anyone know whats the easiest way to dump
              a asf stream to a file on nslu2? i am thinking wget-ssl can probably do
              it. can ffmpeg do it and does it have any options to control the start
              and end time?