Re: Any known usb 2.5" notebook enclosure that accepts the sleep command

  • Dean Dodd
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 3:00 AM
      I've been trying to find the same thing, one thing I have come across
      is that Fujitsu 2.5in drives spin down all on there own after around
      10 minutes I also have a samsung 2.5in drive but I cannot get that to
      spin down.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:

      > Does anybody have first experience with any 2.5" notebook drive
      enclosure (USB)
      > thru which the drive can be spun down? I have tried a number of
      enclosures,
      > mostly no name brands and none has worked. It looks like almost all
      the name
      > brands and the no name brands use only two or three different chips.
      Perhaps
      > there is one out there that has the capability?
      >
      > Cordially, Chacko

    • CN
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 9:55 AM
        Dean,
        What is the exact part/model number of that drive?

        Do you mean that the drive will spin down, no matter which usb enclosure is used? That is very encouraging news!!

        There must some method to control this 'auto' behaviour such as 'always on' or the time after which it spins down etc... Otherwise its functionality in a real notebook computer will be affected, such as when the notebook is in 'presentation mode' you do not want the drive to spin down... Have you found any? I really like to spin down my drive after about 3 minutes :)

        Cordially, Chacko

        On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 10:00:35 -0000, Dean Dodd wrote:

        > I've been trying to find the same thing, one thing I have come across
        > is that Fujitsu 2.5in drives spin down all on there own after around
        > 10 minutes I also have a samsung 2.5in drive but I cannot get that to
        > spin down.
        >
        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anybody have first experience with any 2.5" notebook drive
        > enclosure (USB)
        > > thru which the drive can be spun down? I have tried a number of
        > enclosures,
        > > mostly no name brands and none has worked. It looks like almost all
        > the name
        > > brands and the no name brands use only two or three different chips.
        > Perhaps
        > > there is one out there that has the capability?
        > >
        > > Cordially, Chacko
        > >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Dean Dodd
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3 2:06 PM
          http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.ef1eac5265e3375befca8644eac4f0a0/

          The model number is IC25N080 ATMR04-0

          I had not noticed and was reading the wiki

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks

          and thought I'll just check and sure enough the drive had stopped
          spinning my samsung does not do it though and they are both in the
          same usb enclosures made by Trust 2.5in version (they only make one
          model.) I'm just looking on ebay now for a suitable 250gb fujitsu ide
          3.5in model so I can use that as the 2.5in full up so quickly! I may
          even get the 400gb model if it comes at the right price.

          The interesting bit it

          Sub-method: You can download the Power Booster utility for 2.5"
          IBM/Hitachi TravelStar disks. The Power Booster utility will enable
          the auto spin down feature of the disk. For 3.5" IBM/Hitachi drives
          (and maybe others), you can download the Feature Tool. Otherwise
          temporarily install the IDE disk in your ordinary Linux box, read the
          disk technical documentation and use hdparm to adjust the settings by
          hand. The trick is to enable APM within the drive itself, so Linux
          doesn't have to care about it at all. You can't use hdparm to alter
          the APM settings from the NSLU2 as the USB->IDE adapters are emulated
          as SCSI host adapters in the Linux kernel which is incompatible with
          the necessary hdparm options.

          [Request by ingeba]: To my knowledge this does not work. Can anyone
          verify that APM settings may cause NSLU2 connected drives in arbitrary
          enclosures to spin down? If so, please list drive and enclosure brand
          and model here:

          [slavikb] This worked for me (Hitachi 7K250, noname box, Feature
          Tool). I had to remount root with -noatime option. The drive goes into
          Low RPM mode after 10 minutes of inactivity.

          Either way, you'll have to open your 2.5" USB enclosure and install
          the disk drive temporarily to a desktop computer using a 2.5" to 3.5"
          IDE adapter. After that, you can do the APM adjustment in Windows or
          Linux.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:

          > Dean,
          > What is the exact part/model number of that drive?
          >
          > Do you mean that the drive will spin down, no matter which usb
          enclosure is
          > used? That is very encouraging news!!
          >
          > There must some method to control this 'auto' behaviour such as
          'always on' or
          > the time after which it spins down etc... Otherwise its
          functionality in a real
          > notebook computer will be affected, such as when the notebook is in
          > 'presentation mode' you do not want the drive to spin down... Have
          you found
          > any? I really like to spin down my drive after about 3 minutes :)
          >
          > Cordially, Chacko
          >
          > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 10:00:35 -0000, Dean Dodd wrote:
          >
          > > I've been trying to find the same thing, one thing I have come across
          > > is that Fujitsu 2.5in drives spin down all on there own after around
          > > 10 minutes I also have a samsung 2.5in drive but I cannot get that to
          > > spin down.
          > >
          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Does anybody have first experience with any 2.5" notebook drive
          > > enclosure (USB)
          > > > thru which the drive can be spun down? I have tried a number of
          > > enclosures,
          > > > mostly no name brands and none has worked. It looks like almost all
          > > the name
          > > > brands and the no name brands use only two or three different chips.
          > > Perhaps
          > > > there is one out there that has the capability?
          > > >
          > > > Cordially, Chacko
          > > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • CN
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3 2:26 PM
            Dean,

            Thank you very much for all the detailed info!! Everything here is quite useful for me, and yes I have the adapter to try the drive on pc desktop ide directly... Furthermore, yours is the first explanation that makes me think that it may work. I use my system in a very low use webserver, and since I am very much into power conservation, I use the notebook drives. If I can spin it down, it might be off for 95% of the time :) That might extend the life of the drive 10 times!

            Cordially, Chacko

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4 2:50 AM
              No problem, I'll let you/the group know how I get on with a 3.5in
              drive, I have a maxtor 250gb drive I may test but its in my Sky+ PVR
              at the moment so I'd prefer to just buy a new drive!

            • CN
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4 8:36 AM
                Dean,

                I just now saw an ad for an AirLink 101 2.5" usb case, that explicitly says it has 'spin down capability and usb suspend mode indicator'. I am in Silicon Valley, and might make a trip to the store this weekend :) Has anybody here tried this drive enclosure? Is the claim true?

                Cordially, Chacko