OpenSlug 3.1beta and cyrus-sasl: saslpasswd2: generic failure

  • Holger Bruchelt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006

      I am trying to install Cyrus imap on a fresh OpenSlug 3.1beta. I
      followed the instructions on
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/MailServer. Several of the
      packages were newer than the one mentioned in the HowTo, but I do not
      think that this should be such a big deal.
      When I tried to install cyrus-sasl I got the error:

      Installing cyrus-sasl (2.1.19-r9) to root...
      Configuring cyrus-sasl
      cyrus:x:500:8:Cyrus sasl:/var/spool/mail:/bin/sh
      saslpasswd2: generic failure
      chgrp: /etc/sasldb2: No such file or directory

      A closer look revealed, that cyrus-sasl had a problem to create the
      sasldb2 file:
      saslpasswd2: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2
      (creating the file /etc/sasldb2 is no problem and even if I do a chmod
      777 on this file the installation of cyrus-sasl fails with this error)

      I found several similar problem descriptions on the net, but
      unfortunately no answers.

      Do you think it might be possible to change the sasl_pwcheck_method
      from sasldb2 to shadow, so that I would use the shadow file for
      authentication?

      Thanks for any reply,

      Holger.