Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Adding a APC UPS to your Slug

  • CN
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
      On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:37:40 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
      > > I am not surprised at all at your 5W. About 3 watts for the slug,
      > and about 2
      > > for the drive. Good drives takes a little less when not active,
      > takes about 2.5
      > > to 3 when starting up.
      >
      > Yeah - I was only surprised because of the Wiki text which said it
      > would be 9W (with no drive, I assume).
      >
      > I've no idea what sort of load it's presenting - the meter just
      > presents Watts or VA readings. "Kill-A-Watt" is the model name.
      > http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/kill_a_watt_electric_usage_monitor_review.
      > A fairly cheap device - I have no idea about accuracy...
      >
      > James.

      James,

      I bought one of these meters, and it is a fine little meter. Thanks for introducing us to it. I got the same 5W power reading for my slug with one notebook hard drive as you got.

      They have a stated accuracy of 0.2%; if it is true, that is quite accurate for most works. One will be surprised to find the big variations in power intake by various things at your home. When shopping for items take this meter along with you :) BTW, a good rule of thumb is that it costs $1 per year per watt of electricity ( here in california at 11.4 c/kwh) !! Some old telephone wall warts might be costing you $20 per year, not to mention the waste of energy!

      BTW, in usa, this meter is available for $22.50 including shipping at
      http://www.supermediastore.com/

      Cordially, Chacko
    • jimmyfergus
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:

        > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:37:40 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:
        > > "Kill-A-Watt" is the model name.
        >
        > I bought one of these meters, and it is a fine little meter. Thanks for
        > introducing us to it. I got the same 5W power reading for my slug
        with one
        > notebook hard drive as you got.
        >
        > They have a stated accuracy of 0.2%; if it is true, that is quite
        accurate for
        > most works. One will be surprised to find the big variations in
        power intake by
        > various things at your home. When shopping for items take this
        meter along
        > with you :) BTW, a good rule of thumb is that it costs $1 per year
        per watt of
        > electricity ( here in california at 11.4 c/kwh) !! Some old
        telephone wall warts
        > might be costing you $20 per year, not to mention the waste of energy!

        Yeah, it's quite interesting. I lent the meter to some friends who
        tried just about everything in their house. They were stunned their
        microwave used over a kilowatt. Not sure where they thought the 800W
        output was going to come from.

        $1 per Watt per year is the rule of thumb I've been working from.
        Apparently, 1 ton of coal makes 2500kWh, so there's another calc to
        do. My computer at work uses 140W at idle (two Xeons! - 220W under
        load), so that would be half a ton of coal a year if I didn't turn it
        off at night. Annoys me when I see lots of people's machines on all
        night just so they don't have to wait a minute in the morning for it
        to start up.

        J.
      • CN
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2006
          On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 01:51:37 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:37:40 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:
          > > > "Kill-A-Watt" is the model name.
          > >
          > > I bought one of these meters, and it is a fine little meter. Thanks for
          > > introducing us to it...

          > BTW, a good rule of thumb is that it costs $1 per year
          > per watt of electricity ( here in california at 11.4 c/kwh) !! Some old
          > telephone wall warts might be costing you $20 per year, not to mention the waste of energy!
          >
          > Yeah, it's quite interesting. I lent the meter to some friends who
          > tried just about everything in their house...
          >
          > $1 per Watt per year is the rule of thumb I've been working from.
          > Apparently, 1 ton of coal makes 2500kWh, so there's another calc to
          > do. My computer at work uses 140W at idle (two Xeons! - 220W under
          > load), so that would be half a ton of coal a year if I didn't turn it
          > off at night. Annoys me when I see lots of people's machines on all
          > night just so they don't have to wait a minute in the morning for it
          > to start up.
          >
          > J.

          Well, another very easy thing to do is to at least turn off that monitor when you walk away from your computer. Most monitors these days can be configured to sleep when the user is not using the keyboard/mouse, and the power consumption might go down from 120 watts (crt type) to 5 or 10 when in sleep mode.

          NOTE!! By running those screen displays for ever, (which may be fun to watch for about 30 seconds :), the monitor never goes to sleep!!! The same person may think twice before giving the same $50 they waste to a charity :) :)

          BTW, if you computer is in an airconditioned place, the cooling of this 50watts might take another 100 watts of energy.

          Cordially, Chacko