Re: pwc/setpwc/motion/pvrusb2-mci/cdstatus/cdparanoia

  • Simon Walls
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
      An addition to my previous message - according to the 'motion'
      documentation wiki, the following libraries are located in these packages:

      Libraries: libm, libresolv, libdl, libpthread, libc,
      ld-linux, libcrypt, and libnsl
      RPM Package: glibc and glibc-devel
      Debian Package: libc6 , libc6-dev ,libglib1.2

      Library: libjpeg
      RPM Package: libjpeg and libjpeg-devel
      Debian Package: libjpeg62 and libjpeg62-dev
      ( optional libjpeg-mmx-dev )

      And libjpeg can be installed by ipkg on Unslung 6.8 but the version
      doesn't seem to satisfy the motion package:

      # ipkg install libjpeg
      Installing libjpeg (6b-2) to root...
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/libjpeg_6b-2_armeb.ipk
      Configuring libjpeg
      #

      I also have libc6-unslung and libgcc installed, as can be seen below,
      but the motion ipk is not satisfied with those either.....

      # ipkg install libgcc
      Package libgcc (3.4.4-r3) installed in root is up to date.
      Nothing to be done
      #
      # ipkg install libc6-unslung
      Package libc6-unslung (2.2.5-r5) installed in root is up to date.
      Nothing to be done
      #
      # ipkg install motion.ipk
      Installing motion (3.2.6-r0) to root...
      Nothing to be done
      An error ocurred, return value: 1.
      Collected errors:
      ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for motion:
      libc6 (>= 2.3.5+cvs20050627) libjpeg62 (>= 6b) libgcc1 (>= 3.4.4)
      #

      I see there is a slight name difference (libgcc to libgcc1) and a
      version and name difference in the libc6. I don't know how to resolve
      these... any help appreciated!
      Thanks, Simon.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2006
        You simply cannot mix Unslung and OpenSlug packages. That is the root of the problems you are experiencing.
        -- Rod

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 15, 2006
          Rod,

          I was a bit confused I think, partly by the Unslung/Openslug search
          engine, I thought it meant that the packages were suitable for either.
          That's clearly not the case.

          Now, I have succeeded in compiling and running Motion-3.2.6 on Unslung
          6.8. Below follows a basic HOWTO. Also some notes on the Openslug
          installation procedure.

          I should imagine that others who have posted about Motion would be
          interested, so please test the procedure out on your slugs. Anyone
          wishing to make an ipk file available in the feeds once they have
          compiled Motion, please do, as I have no knowledge of that.

          Motion on Unslung 6.8
          ---------------------

          You will need a native compiler installed. Refer elsewhere to find out
          how to install this. For some reason the built-in jpeg library (you
          can see it on ipkg list_installed) is not suitable for Motion,
          probably as it does not contain the .h files which are needed to
          compile applications, so we compile the jpeg library from source.

          To compile the jpeg library (as for Openslug -see below- but with
          different prefix setting):

          Obtain package 'jpegsrc' from
          http://www.ijg.org/files/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz or alternative
          untar
          cd into tar directory
          ./configure --prefix=/opt --enable-shared --enable-static
          (configure fails, but it will write the Makefile this is normal).
          ./ltconfig ltmain.sh armeb-linux
          make
          make install
          make install-lib

          After locally compiling the jpeg library, it was a struggle to get
          libjpeg recognised by the motion configure script, as it did not pick
          up the new installation in /opt.
          The following procedure uses environment variables to inform the
          configure script and 'make' .....

          Obtain package 'motion-3.2.6' from Sourceforge or your favourite source
          untar
          cd into tar directory
          export LDFLAGS="-L/opt/lib" (Note no space between -L and
          /opt/lib)
          export CFLAGS="-I /opt/include" (Note space between -I and
          /opt/include)
          ./configure --prefix=/opt
          make
          make install

          Before typing 'motion' to run the program, you must copy the
          motion-dist.conf to /opt/etc/motion.conf and customise it for your
          application.
          (Note: Since prefix=/opt was specified, the default conf file location
          is /opt/etc/motion.conf).

          I haven't yet set up an init.d entry to begin motion detection on Slug
          boot.

          Motion under Unslung 6.8 appears to work ok, I have only used it so
          far to capture regular snapshots at 10 second intervals to show it
          works (the camera is pointed at a low-movement scene). Unfortunately I
          don't have a 'top' equivalent program on Unslung to see how much CPU
          time is being used by Motion. Does one exist?

          Motion on OpenSlug 3.1 (for reference)
          ----------------------

          On my 2nd Slug I've installed Openslug 3.1, which went smoothly, and
          compiled motion on it successfully.
          It wasn't totally straightforward, as Motion requires libjpeg, which
          doesn't come with OpenSlug and thus needs to be installed.

          I started by getting the native openslug compiler installed (Refer
          elsewhere for this).

          Using some advice from the "Add Printer - OpenSlug" wiki page ...
          "LibJpeg has an old version of libtool so it doesn't quite work
          correctly, but can be made to work fairly easily." The page goes on to
          show the use of 'ltconfig' which I have duplicated below.

          Obtain package 'jpegsrc' from
          http://www.ijg.org/files/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz or alternative
          untar
          cd into tar directory
          ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-shared (configure
          fails, but it will write the Makefile this is normal).
          ./ltconfig ltmain.sh armeb-linux
          make
          mkdir /usr/local/include
          mkdir /usr/local/bin
          mkdir /usr/local/lib
          mkdir /usr/local/man/man1
          make install
          make install-lib

          Once libjpeg was installed, motion was locally compiled using:

          obtain package 'motion-3.2.6' from Sourceforge or your favourite source
          untar
          cd into tar directory
          ./configure
          make

          I didn't install ffmpeg support. Maybe later. I don't remember using
          any options on configure, since Openslug uses more conventional
          directory structure (/usr/local/bin etc, not /opt/bin).

          I can confirm what another author pointed out, that Motion consumes
          about 70% of CPU on a TurboSlug when monitoring 1 camera. I saw this
          with a network camera @ 2fps. At 1 fps the load is about 55%. I will
          be going on to try 2 and 3 network cameras in time. Motion is detected
          reliably and the jpeg files are about 55Kb per frame (640x480 @ 85%
          quality).

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby"