Re: mencoder/mplayer

  • andrewnslu2
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 1:31 AM
      No experience with mencoder, but on my Debian Installer Slug I have
      FFMPEG working, which can transcode all sorts of videos, and will
      probably do CBR/VBR transcoding.

      I compiled the latest version, and linked in the FAAC libraries, so
      now I have the slug automatically downloading video podcasts, and
      transcoding them to a format that will run on my Sony Erricson K750i
      mobile phone. Once they are transcoded, they are served up on a samba
      share.

      Only trouble is that since the slug has no hardware FPU, the AAC
      encoding is slooooow, it takes several hours to transcode a video
      podcast only a few minutes long! It's not a big deal though, since it
      is all scripted on a cron job, it just quietly chugs away all night
      and day...

      www.hifihacks.com

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy" <the_orn@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Anyone up to compiling mencoder and mplayer for unslung? I've looked
      > around for it but been unable to find more than a few nibbles about it
      > on the mailing list.
      >
      > I'd really like to be able to convert my video files that are
      > mpeg4/mp3 with variable bit rate audio into mpeg4/mp3 with constant
      > bit rate audio. I'd also like to be able to take advantage of
      > mplayer's ability to download streaming audio to files.
      >
      > If you know of another solution to these problems on the slug, let me
      > know.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Rudy

    • Rudy Moore
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 12:40 PM
        > No experience with mencoder, but on my Debian Installer Slug I have
        > FFMPEG working, which can transcode all sorts of videos, and will
        > probably do CBR/VBR transcoding.

        Yes, I've played with FFMPEG a bit. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem capable of
        working with the audio format in my files. I also can't figure out how to tell
        it to use constant bit rate encoding (if I could get it to work with the
        audio). Other than that, it works great! :)

        This is the command I've been trying to use to do the conversion (and other
        tweaks like this command.. all of which have been unsuccessful..)

        ffmpeg -i video1.avi -vcodec copy -acodec mp3 video2.avi

        This is its output:
        Input #0, avi, from 'video1.avi':
        Duration: 00:40:00.0, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 764 kb/s
        Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 608x352, 29.98 fps(r)
        Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x2000, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
        Output #0, avi, to 'video2.avi':
        Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 608x352, q=2-31, 29.98 fps(c)
        Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x0000, 48000 Hz, stereo, 64 kb/s
        Stream mapping:
        Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
        Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
        Unsupported codec for output stream #0.1

        I tried mp2 and aac for destination codecs as well...

        > www.hifihacks.com

        Nice site. Lots of cool tricks.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Simon Walls
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2 6:50 AM
          I found this which relates to compiling mplayer on the Slug:

          http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2004-October/030822.html

          October 2004... phew.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy" <the_orn@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Anyone up to compiling mencoder and mplayer for unslung? I've looked
          > around for it but been unable to find more than a few nibbles about it
          > on the mailing list.
          >
          > I'd really like to be able to convert my video files that are
          > mpeg4/mp3 with variable bit rate audio into mpeg4/mp3 with constant
          > bit rate audio. I'd also like to be able to take advantage of
          > mplayer's ability to download streaming audio to files.
          >
          > If you know of another solution to these problems on the slug, let me
          > know.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Rudy

        • Attila Csipa
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2 7:01 AM
            On Wednesday 02 August 2006 15:50, Simon Walls wrote:
            > I found this which relates to compiling mplayer on the Slug:
            > http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2004-October/030822.htm

            I had a complied mencoder at one point, but it was dead slow. The original
            poster mentioned only audio conversion, which might actually be doable but
            MPEG4/derivated recompression is an overnight task for the slug at best (DVD
            quality was <1fps, with lower quality, image size and simple mpeg encoding it
            was around 5fps).
          • Rudy Moore
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3 8:30 AM
              Audio conversion is all I'm trying to do. But even at 1fps if I were doing
              video, 20 hours to recode 40 minutes of show really doesn't bother me. It's
              something I can cron to have going in the background. When you think about it
              as a night-light (powerwise) that happens to be recoding a video program, it's
              still amazing.

              Can I get the mencoder executable from you? I haven't set up or researched
              cross compiling, much less compiling mplayer/mencoder.

              Thanks,
              Rudy

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Attila Csipa
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4 12:34 AM
                On Thursday 03 August 2006 17:30, Rudy Moore wrote:
                > Can I get the mencoder executable from you? I haven't set up or researched
                > cross compiling, much less compiling mplayer/mencoder.

                Unfortunately I had mplayer/mencoder compiled on a BE debianslug, which I have
                since replaced with a LE debian, but did not bother to recompile bc I did not
                need it :(
              • prabus
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 18 8:17 AM
                  until this is available, does anyone know whats the easiest way to dump
                  a asf stream to a file on nslu2? i am thinking wget-ssl can probably do
                  it. can ffmpeg do it and does it have any options to control the start
                  and end time?