Any known usb 2.5" notebook enclosure that accepts the sleep command

  • CN
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2006
      Does anybody have first experience with any 2.5" notebook drive enclosure (USB)
      thru which the drive can be spun down? I have tried a number of enclosures,
      mostly no name brands and none has worked. It looks like almost all the name
      brands and the no name brands use only two or three different chips. Perhaps
      there is one out there that has the capability?

      Cordially, Chacko
    • Dean Dodd
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
        I've been trying to find the same thing, one thing I have come across
        is that Fujitsu 2.5in drives spin down all on there own after around
        10 minutes I also have a samsung 2.5in drive but I cannot get that to
        spin down.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:

        > Does anybody have first experience with any 2.5" notebook drive
        enclosure (USB)
        > thru which the drive can be spun down? I have tried a number of
        enclosures,
        > mostly no name brands and none has worked. It looks like almost all
        the name
        > brands and the no name brands use only two or three different chips.
        Perhaps
        > there is one out there that has the capability?
        >
        > Cordially, Chacko

      • CN
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
          Dean,
          What is the exact part/model number of that drive?

          Do you mean that the drive will spin down, no matter which usb enclosure is used? That is very encouraging news!!

          There must some method to control this 'auto' behaviour such as 'always on' or the time after which it spins down etc... Otherwise its functionality in a real notebook computer will be affected, such as when the notebook is in 'presentation mode' you do not want the drive to spin down... Have you found any? I really like to spin down my drive after about 3 minutes :)

          Cordially, Chacko

          On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 10:00:35 -0000, Dean Dodd wrote:

          > I've been trying to find the same thing, one thing I have come across
          > is that Fujitsu 2.5in drives spin down all on there own after around
          > 10 minutes I also have a samsung 2.5in drive but I cannot get that to
          > spin down.
          >
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anybody have first experience with any 2.5" notebook drive
          > enclosure (USB)
          > > thru which the drive can be spun down? I have tried a number of
          > enclosures,
          > > mostly no name brands and none has worked. It looks like almost all
          > the name
          > > brands and the no name brands use only two or three different chips.
          > Perhaps
          > > there is one out there that has the capability?
          > >
          > > Cordially, Chacko
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Dean Dodd
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
            http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.ef1eac5265e3375befca8644eac4f0a0/

            The model number is IC25N080 ATMR04-0

            I had not noticed and was reading the wiki

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks

            and thought I'll just check and sure enough the drive had stopped
            spinning my samsung does not do it though and they are both in the
            same usb enclosures made by Trust 2.5in version (they only make one
            model.) I'm just looking on ebay now for a suitable 250gb fujitsu ide
            3.5in model so I can use that as the 2.5in full up so quickly! I may
            even get the 400gb model if it comes at the right price.

            The interesting bit it

            Sub-method: You can download the Power Booster utility for 2.5"
            IBM/Hitachi TravelStar disks. The Power Booster utility will enable
            the auto spin down feature of the disk. For 3.5" IBM/Hitachi drives
            (and maybe others), you can download the Feature Tool. Otherwise
            temporarily install the IDE disk in your ordinary Linux box, read the
            disk technical documentation and use hdparm to adjust the settings by
            hand. The trick is to enable APM within the drive itself, so Linux
            doesn't have to care about it at all. You can't use hdparm to alter
            the APM settings from the NSLU2 as the USB->IDE adapters are emulated
            as SCSI host adapters in the Linux kernel which is incompatible with
            the necessary hdparm options.

            [Request by ingeba]: To my knowledge this does not work. Can anyone
            verify that APM settings may cause NSLU2 connected drives in arbitrary
            enclosures to spin down? If so, please list drive and enclosure brand
            and model here:

            [slavikb] This worked for me (Hitachi 7K250, noname box, Feature
            Tool). I had to remount root with -noatime option. The drive goes into
            Low RPM mode after 10 minutes of inactivity.

            Either way, you'll have to open your 2.5" USB enclosure and install
            the disk drive temporarily to a desktop computer using a 2.5" to 3.5"
            IDE adapter. After that, you can do the APM adjustment in Windows or
            Linux.

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:

            > Dean,
            > What is the exact part/model number of that drive?
            >
            > Do you mean that the drive will spin down, no matter which usb
            enclosure is
            > used? That is very encouraging news!!
            >
            > There must some method to control this 'auto' behaviour such as
            'always on' or
            > the time after which it spins down etc... Otherwise its
            functionality in a real
            > notebook computer will be affected, such as when the notebook is in
            > 'presentation mode' you do not want the drive to spin down... Have
            you found
            > any? I really like to spin down my drive after about 3 minutes :)
            >
            > Cordially, Chacko
            >
            > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 10:00:35 -0000, Dean Dodd wrote:
            >
            > > I've been trying to find the same thing, one thing I have come across
            > > is that Fujitsu 2.5in drives spin down all on there own after around
            > > 10 minutes I also have a samsung 2.5in drive but I cannot get that to
            > > spin down.
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Does anybody have first experience with any 2.5" notebook drive
            > > enclosure (USB)
            > > > thru which the drive can be spun down? I have tried a number of
            > > enclosures,
            > > > mostly no name brands and none has worked. It looks like almost all
            > > the name
            > > > brands and the no name brands use only two or three different chips.
            > > Perhaps
            > > > there is one out there that has the capability?
            > > >
            > > > Cordially, Chacko
            > > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • CN
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
              Dean,

              Thank you very much for all the detailed info!! Everything here is quite useful for me, and yes I have the adapter to try the drive on pc desktop ide directly... Furthermore, yours is the first explanation that makes me think that it may work. I use my system in a very low use webserver, and since I am very much into power conservation, I use the notebook drives. If I can spin it down, it might be off for 95% of the time :) That might extend the life of the drive 10 times!

              Cordially, Chacko

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
                No problem, I'll let you/the group know how I get on with a 3.5in
                drive, I have a maxtor 250gb drive I may test but its in my Sky+ PVR
                at the moment so I'd prefer to just buy a new drive!

              • CN
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
                  Dean,

                  I just now saw an ad for an AirLink 101 2.5" usb case, that explicitly says it has 'spin down capability and usb suspend mode indicator'. I am in Silicon Valley, and might make a trip to the store this weekend :) Has anybody here tried this drive enclosure? Is the claim true?

                  Cordially, Chacko