mencoder/mplayer

  • Rudy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2006
      Hi,

      Anyone up to compiling mencoder and mplayer for unslung? I've looked
      around for it but been unable to find more than a few nibbles about it
      on the mailing list.

      I'd really like to be able to convert my video files that are
      mpeg4/mp3 with variable bit rate audio into mpeg4/mp3 with constant
      bit rate audio. I'd also like to be able to take advantage of
      mplayer's ability to download streaming audio to files.

      If you know of another solution to these problems on the slug, let me
      know.

      Thanks!
      Rudy
    • andrewnslu2
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
        No experience with mencoder, but on my Debian Installer Slug I have
        FFMPEG working, which can transcode all sorts of videos, and will
        probably do CBR/VBR transcoding.

        I compiled the latest version, and linked in the FAAC libraries, so
        now I have the slug automatically downloading video podcasts, and
        transcoding them to a format that will run on my Sony Erricson K750i
        mobile phone. Once they are transcoded, they are served up on a samba
        share.

        Only trouble is that since the slug has no hardware FPU, the AAC
        encoding is slooooow, it takes several hours to transcode a video
        podcast only a few minutes long! It's not a big deal though, since it
        is all scripted on a cron job, it just quietly chugs away all night
        and day...

        www.hifihacks.com

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy" <the_orn@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Anyone up to compiling mencoder and mplayer for unslung? I've looked
        > around for it but been unable to find more than a few nibbles about it
        > on the mailing list.
        >
        > I'd really like to be able to convert my video files that are
        > mpeg4/mp3 with variable bit rate audio into mpeg4/mp3 with constant
        > bit rate audio. I'd also like to be able to take advantage of
        > mplayer's ability to download streaming audio to files.
        >
        > If you know of another solution to these problems on the slug, let me
        > know.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Rudy

      • Rudy Moore
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
          > No experience with mencoder, but on my Debian Installer Slug I have
          > FFMPEG working, which can transcode all sorts of videos, and will
          > probably do CBR/VBR transcoding.

          Yes, I've played with FFMPEG a bit. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem capable of
          working with the audio format in my files. I also can't figure out how to tell
          it to use constant bit rate encoding (if I could get it to work with the
          audio). Other than that, it works great! :)

          This is the command I've been trying to use to do the conversion (and other
          tweaks like this command.. all of which have been unsuccessful..)

          ffmpeg -i video1.avi -vcodec copy -acodec mp3 video2.avi

          This is its output:
          Input #0, avi, from 'video1.avi':
          Duration: 00:40:00.0, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 764 kb/s
          Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 608x352, 29.98 fps(r)
          Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x2000, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
          Output #0, avi, to 'video2.avi':
          Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 608x352, q=2-31, 29.98 fps(c)
          Stream #0.1: Audio: 0x0000, 48000 Hz, stereo, 64 kb/s
          Stream mapping:
          Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
          Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
          Unsupported codec for output stream #0.1

          I tried mp2 and aac for destination codecs as well...

          > www.hifihacks.com

          Nice site. Lots of cool tricks.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Simon Walls
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
            I found this which relates to compiling mplayer on the Slug:

            http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2004-October/030822.html

            October 2004... phew.

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy" <the_orn@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Anyone up to compiling mencoder and mplayer for unslung? I've looked
            > around for it but been unable to find more than a few nibbles about it
            > on the mailing list.
            >
            > I'd really like to be able to convert my video files that are
            > mpeg4/mp3 with variable bit rate audio into mpeg4/mp3 with constant
            > bit rate audio. I'd also like to be able to take advantage of
            > mplayer's ability to download streaming audio to files.
            >
            > If you know of another solution to these problems on the slug, let me
            > know.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Rudy

          • Attila Csipa
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
              On Wednesday 02 August 2006 15:50, Simon Walls wrote:
              > I found this which relates to compiling mplayer on the Slug:
              > http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2004-October/030822.htm

              I had a complied mencoder at one point, but it was dead slow. The original
              poster mentioned only audio conversion, which might actually be doable but
              MPEG4/derivated recompression is an overnight task for the slug at best (DVD
              quality was <1fps, with lower quality, image size and simple mpeg encoding it
              was around 5fps).
            • Rudy Moore
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
                Audio conversion is all I'm trying to do. But even at 1fps if I were doing
                video, 20 hours to recode 40 minutes of show really doesn't bother me. It's
                something I can cron to have going in the background. When you think about it
                as a night-light (powerwise) that happens to be recoding a video program, it's
                still amazing.

                Can I get the mencoder executable from you? I haven't set up or researched
                cross compiling, much less compiling mplayer/mencoder.

                Thanks,
                Rudy

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Attila Csipa
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2006
                  On Thursday 03 August 2006 17:30, Rudy Moore wrote:
                  > Can I get the mencoder executable from you? I haven't set up or researched
                  > cross compiling, much less compiling mplayer/mencoder.

                  Unfortunately I had mplayer/mencoder compiled on a BE debianslug, which I have
                  since replaced with a LE debian, but did not bother to recompile bc I did not
                  need it :(
                • prabus
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 18, 2006
                    until this is available, does anyone know whats the easiest way to dump
                    a asf stream to a file on nslu2? i am thinking wget-ssl can probably do
                    it. can ffmpeg do it and does it have any options to control the start
                    and end time?