Re: [nslu2-linux] Settings Loss - Need Help Fixing

  • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2004
      > Recently, I was logging into my NSLU2 through my internal network
      > and I couldn't for some reason. I later on discovered that my NSLU2
      > stopped reconizing the hard drive that was connected to it. It said
      > that the hard drive is "not formatted". I didn't want to format the
      > drive because I had a feeling the data was still on the drive, so I
      > hooked the drive to my usb ports with the EXT2FS drivers for winXP
      > and discovered the information was still there. I currently backup
      > the files onto another drive.
      <snip>
      > I think maybe a blackout or sag in electric possible caused this,
      > but this is just a guess. The things that worries me is that once I
      > fix this problem, how do i prevent it from happening in the first
      > place? If this happens often it is going to become very annoying
      > and bothersome. I now have the NSLU2 plugged into a UPS instead of
      > a surge protector. :-|

      I had exactly the same thing happen to me this weekend, I did try
      reformatting the drive (which failed). I was also running rel 21, and was
      trying to update to 25...which was erroring with the message "No enough
      space for upgrade".

      Contacting Cisco, they said to Hold reset button for 30 seconds, power off
      the device, and power back on. Try firmware upgrade. Then it worked. Tried
      formatting the drive, it still errored.

      Ended up plugging my drive into XP, removed all the partitions...plugged
      back into NSLU2, and formatted. From there, it started working again.

      Now, I'm trying to setup the users/shares and such back onto the NSLU2.
      Can't get read access to the Admin1 share atm...will continue trying this
      evening to config it.

      David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
      Powerpro - The ultimate software utility. http://www.windowspowerpro.com
      Funstuff: If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person -- they
      will find an easier way to do it.
    • Aristotle Allen
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2004
        I'm getting the exact same problem, v21 firmware, and even after a
        reset and restart,I cant upgrade the firmware. Support for this
        product really stinks. Their online support people told me to return
        it.

        I'm going to follow you lead with the ups too, once i get it replaced via RMA

        -
        Ari

        --
        -
        Aristotle B. Allen
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2004
          > I'm getting the exact same problem, v21 firmware, and even after a
          > reset and restart,I cant upgrade the firmware. Support for this
          > product really stinks. Their online support people told me to return
          > it.
          >
          > I'm going to follow you lead with the ups too, once i get it
          > replaced via RMA

          I had tried a couple other times to restart, and reflash before I got it to
          work. Be sure you follow the steps exactly.

          1) Reset button for 30 seconds
          2) Unplug immediately after you have held the reset button down
          3) After you get the solid top light (that the NSLU2 has finished rebooting)
          goto 192.168.1.77 in your browser. Go immediately to Admin, and update, and
          update.

          See how that goes. If it still errors, try removing the hdd, and do exactly
          the same procedure.

          For your drive (which probably won't be readable) put onto another computer,
          and remove all the partitions on the disk (using disk manager). Then plug it
          back into the NSLU2, and format the drive with the NSLU2 util (or according
          to the Cisco tech support, a single fat32 partition will also work-will be
          the only thing that will work). It should work then.

          Good luck,
          David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
          DRM - Hear another point of view. http://craphound.com/msftdrm.txt
          Funstuff: Experience is something you don't get until just after you need
          it.
        • krusty742
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 10, 2004
            There must be a way to do this without reformating the drive because
            the original configuration files for the shares, users, and
            passwords are on the drive in it's own partition. The hard part is
            getting it the NSLU2 to reconize the drive without formatting. I am
            wondering what is on the drive that is making the NSLU2 to not
            reconize that it is not formatted. If we can change that then we
            don't have to bother reformatting and putting all that data back on.

            I think it is better to try and figure this out, in case it happens
            again in the future because do you really want to be re-formatting
            and putting the data back on every couple months?

            I have had it less than a month and it did it. I have a 300GB hdd
            connected to my NSLU2 and don't want to be doing this every month.
            That is a lot of data to be continually copying.
          • aah1958
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 10, 2004
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "krusty742" <tempbart@e...> wrote:
              > Recently, I was logging into my NSLU2 through my internal network
              > and I couldn't for some reason. I later on discovered that my NSLU2
              > stopped reconizing the hard drive that was connected to it. It said
              > that the hard drive is "not formatted". I didn't want to format the
              > drive because I had a feeling the data was still on the drive, so I
              > hooked the drive to my usb ports with the EXT2FS drivers for winXP
              > and discovered the information was still there. I currently backup
              > the files onto another drive.
              >
              > I don't understand what caused the NSLU2 to do this. The strange
              > part is that the server name, comment, workgroup are still saved and
              > the same. The users, groups, and shares info is gone. Is there a
              > way to make the NSLU2 reconize that it is an already formated drive
              > or somehow reload the previous configuration settings. I think the
              > NSLU2 saved this configuration information on the hard drive because
              > I saw setting information, but don't know how to reload it back. I
              > would really appreciate any help or ideas anyone would have on how
              > to fix this because I really don't want to format the drive and then
              > put the same information back onto when it is already there.
              >
              > I think maybe a blackout or sag in electric possible caused this,
              > but this is just a guess. The things that worries me is that once I
              > fix this problem, how do i prevent it from happening in the first
              > place? If this happens often it is going to become very annoying
              > and bothersome. I now have the NSLU2 plugged into a UPS instead of
              > a surge protector. :-|
              >
              > Thank you ahead of time for any help you can provide me.

              I had this happen to me a couple of days ago. I was able to get it to
              work again by:

              1) Turn off NSLU2
              2) Power down the problem drive (Drive 1 in my case)
              3) Power up the drive
              4) Power up the NSLU2

              When the NSLU2 finished rebooting, the drive reappeared as formatted
              and my data was still there. I ran a check disk on the drive via the
              web interface and it appears to be working OK now.

              BTW, my NSLU2 and all my network hardware was plugged into a UPS at
              the time this happened, so I'm not sure if it was the result of a
              power glitch.

              -Alan
            • Jim Buzbee
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 10, 2004
                On Aug 10, 2004, at 1:25 AM, krusty742 wrote:

                > There must be a way to do this without reformating the drive because
                > the original configuration files for the shares, users, and
                > passwords are on the drive in it's own partition. The hard part is
                > getting it the NSLU2 to reconize the drive without formatting. I am
                > wondering what is on the drive that is making the NSLU2 to not
                > reconize that it is not formatted. If we can change that then we
                > don't have to bother reformatting and putting all that data back on.

                I think it is the /share/hdd/conf/.dongle file. If you remove it the
                NSLU2 refuses to mount the drive. If you put it back, the drive
                gets mounted.

                I would guess that if you duplicated all of the proper files and
                directories you could build a drive by-hand. There is also
                a flash configuration item :

                [harddisk]
                validhd=1:0
                invalidhd=0:0