Adding a APC UPS to your Slug

  • mrkzander
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 7, 2006
      All,
      I recently had to recover from a trashed disk after numerous power
      failures at my home due to some street constructions.
      Since I don't want to keep losing disk's I purchased an UPS.

      At first I thought that I would just plug my slug in to the UPS
      without any management. But I had some time on my hands so I tried
      to get the USB management working with OpenSlug 2.7.

      It was _way_ easier than I expected. If your interested you can
      follow what I did at
      <<http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddaUPSwithAPCUPSD>>

      By the way. I'm amazed at how little power my slug setup takes!
      With the slug, a 40GB 2.5" drive, a 250GB IDE drive in an external
      case, my DVDr in an external case and a USB HUB turned on it takes
      just 35Watts of power! Pretty good for something that serves my
      Mail, Web, AVI's and pictures to my Xbox/XBMC.

      Zander.
    • CN
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 7, 2006
        On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:32:55 -0000, mrkzander wrote:
        > By the way. I'm amazed at how little power my slug setup takes!
        > With the slug, a 40GB 2.5" drive, a 250GB IDE drive in an external
        > case, my DVDr in an external case and a USB HUB turned on it takes
        > just 35Watts of power! Pretty good for something that serves my
        > Mail, Web, AVI's and pictures to my Xbox/XBMC.
        >

        > Zander.

        Zander,

        That figure does not sound right, unless you meant 3.5watts? I have slug with
        just a 2.5 usb drive and my estimate is that together it takes about 5 watts only!
        The usb drive when running takes about 2 watts. Note the whole power supply is
        rated for 10watts only (I have run two usb drives reliably).

        Oops, I did not notice you had an IDE drive. That is taking most of your power :)

        I think there are some exact power measurement results on our wiki.

        Cordially, Chacko
      • jimmyfergus
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 7, 2006
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
          > That figure does not sound right, unless you meant 3.5watts? I have
          slug with
          > just a 2.5 usb drive and my estimate is that together it takes about
          5 watts only!
          > The usb drive when running takes about 2 watts. Note the whole
          power supply is
          > rated for 10watts only (I have run two usb drives reliably).

          I thought it took about 9W for the slug, and about 2-3W for a laptop
          drive?

          The http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/OverClockTheSlug gives the
          9W value.

          The PSU is probably very inefficient, so the total draw must be ~13W.

          For me, my slug couldn't take a second drive :(.
        • CN
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 7, 2006
            On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 02:47:19 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
            > > That figure does not sound right, unless you meant 3.5watts? I have
            > slug with just a 2.5 usb drive and my estimate is that together it takes about
            > 5 watts only!
            > > The usb drive when running takes about 2 watts. Note the whole
            > power supply is rated for 10watts only (I have run two usb drives reliably).
            > I thought it took about 9W for the slug, and about 2-3W for a laptop
            > drive?
            >
            > The http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/OverClockTheSlug gives the
            > 9W value.
            >
            > The PSU is probably very inefficient, so the total draw must be ~13W.
            > For me, my slug couldn't take a second drive :(.

            Fair enough. I was referring to the slug side of the power supply :) You see from the same website, 0.5A to 0.59A at 5v. That is 2.5 to 2.95 watts!!

            Even though the power supply is a switcher, and so is more efficient than a non switcher, at that small pwr capacity you can expect about only about 40 to 50% efficiency, so the input side is above 8 watts (without any of the other peripherals...) So the views in this thread are fairly compatible.

            Cordially, Chacko
          • downlalaway
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 8, 2006

              I use my slug (debian-slug 3.10beta) to run nut to monitor an MGE 500
              premium ellipse UPS which also power other critical equipment such as
              desktop PC, phone and router.
              If it was just a slug with a flash or microdrive a rechargable battery
              unit using 4 NiMh AA batteries might be a good ups for a few mins!

              Using winNUT (and/or nut client on Linux) the slug tells the other PC
              to shutdown if its on and the power goes down, then it shutdown itself
              if it needs. Winnut gives littl pop up messages telling what's going
              to happen or if comms lost etc.
              All pretty cool and I'm logging the data with another linkstation
              which runs nut and has an APC500RS powering it and other hardware.
              Looked at apcupsd but its too specific and didn't find the networking
              ability.

              NUT uses the usbhid / hiddev module with a 'newhidups' driver for usb
              upses and works well from booting.

              With the linkstation/APC this is rock solid, but the slug driver
              collapses randomly every 1-3days, just requiring the newhidups driver
              to restart.

              Jul 8 03:56:14 nslu1 kernel: usb 3-1.2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL
              failed cmd newhidups rqt 128 rq 6 len 255 ret$
              Jul 8 03:56:15 nslu1 upsd[895]: Data for UPS [mge500pe] is stale -
              check driver
              Jul 8 03:56:15 nslu1 kernel: usb 3-1.2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL
              failed cmd newhidups rqt 128 rq 6 len 255 ret$

              Anyway, I recommend NUT especially with a debianslug -just minor
              setting up with the /etc/nut files and it works. MGE upses good too.
              Happy to help anyone and can write it in the wiki.

              Not sure if the random usbdevfs fault lies with the debianslug
              (likely) or ups.
              It could be worked around crudely with a cron job to check it and
              restart the 'upsdrvctl' command.
              Perhaps this also affects other usb devices..
              Any ideas from those who might know?

              Also can't get any response from an earlier post trying to setup an
              ov511 webcam. Can anyone help there too please?
              Is there an easy way of getting a large set of the modules an
              installing them to be loaded when necessary without doing it one-by-one?
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:

              > On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 02:47:19 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:
              >
              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@> wrote:
              > > > That figure does not sound right, unless you meant 3.5watts? I have
              > > slug with just a 2.5 usb drive and my estimate is that together
              it takes
              > about
              > > 5 watts only!
              > > > The usb drive when running takes about 2 watts. Note the whole
              > > power supply is rated for 10watts only (I have run two usb drives
              > reliably).
              > > I thought it took about 9W for the slug, and about 2-3W for a laptop
              > > drive?
              > >
              > > The http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/OverClockTheSlug gives the
              > > 9W value.
              > >
              > > The PSU is probably very inefficient, so the total draw must be ~13W.
              > > For me, my slug couldn't take a second drive :(.
              >
              > Fair enough. I was referring to the slug side of the power supply
              :) You
              > see from the same website, 0.5A to 0.59A at 5v. That is 2.5 to 2.95
              > watts!!
              >
              > Even though the power supply is a switcher, and so is more efficient
              than
              > a non switcher, at that small pwr capacity you can expect about only
              > about 40 to 50% efficiency, so the input side is above 8 watts (without
              > any of the other peripherals...) So the views in this thread are fairly
              > compatible.
              >
              > Cordially, Chacko

            • jimmyfergus
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 8, 2006
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
                > Even though the power supply is a switcher, and so is more efficient
                than
                > a non switcher, at that small pwr capacity you can expect about only
                > about 40 to 50% efficiency, so the input side is above 8 watts (without
                > any of the other peripherals...) So the views in this thread are fairly
                > compatible.

                Hmmm, and presumably, it's power factor is likely to be pretty poor
                too, and I think the VA is what the UPS cares about, not the Watts.

                I have a kill-a-watt meter - I'll have to hook it up and find out the
                PF and the total draw in Watts and VA.

                Still, miles better than the full-size machine it replaced for me, but
                I guess it will be 15-16W, 20-25 VA.

                If I was to get obsessive about it, any thoughts on what would be a
                good option for improving the efficiency? Think an efficient computer
                PSU powering my router, cable modem and slug would reduce the overall
                draw? Or what about tapping off the PSU of the conventional Mythtv
                machine I have running 24/7?
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 8, 2006
                  downlalaway wrote:
                  > Is there an easy way of getting a large set of the modules an
                  > installing them to be loaded when necessary without doing it one-by-one?

                  What I have done in the past is (for SlugOS) turnup'd to one smallish
                  partition an external disk (so I'm running SlugOS from the external disk
                  ) and then run "ipkg install kernel-modules" to install *all* kernel
                  modules onto that external disk partition. Then I turnup to the other
                  Debian rootfs partition, and copy the modules across.

                  To update the SlugOS kernel, I just turnup back to the SlugOS external
                  disk partition, then ipkg update and run reflash with a new kernel or
                  rootfs. The copy the new set of modules across to the Debian disk
                  partiton, and turnup back into Debian.

                  Just remember to run "depmod -a" whenever you change the set of kernel
                  modules that are installed, and then modprobe will handle the
                  dependencies for you (as long as all the required modules are installed).

                  -- Rod
                • downlalaway
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9, 2006
                    Many thanks Rod,

                    I was just working out that might be a way, but couldn't see how to
                    store all the modules on slug flash with slugOS.

                    I've done it before on linkstations by just downloading a tarball the
                    developers kindly created of the compiled modules and just unpacking
                    into /lib/modules when in debian then reboot.
                    Please would a module tarball be possible to add to the ipkg feed for
                    the debianslug?

                    Depending on the size (was around 2.7M download and 16M deployed on
                    the LS), it might save a large number of hardware/module compatibility
                    questions (such as mine for ov511) so it all 'just works' if you're
                    running on an external disk/flash with enough space.

                    Just a suggestion for those of us who can follow instructions and run
                    debian but haven't got the current skill to compile a kernel.

                    best regards

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-linux@...>
                    wrote:

                    > downlalaway wrote:
                    > > Is there an easy way of getting a large set of the modules an
                    > > installing them to be loaded when necessary without doing it
                    one-by-one?

                    > What I have done in the past is (for SlugOS) turnup'd to one smallish
                    > partition an external disk (so I'm running SlugOS from the external disk
                    > ) and then run "ipkg install kernel-modules" to install *all* kernel
                    > modules onto that external disk partition. Then I turnup to the other
                    > Debian rootfs partition, and copy the modules across.
                    >
                    > To update the SlugOS kernel, I just turnup back to the SlugOS external
                    > disk partition, then ipkg update and run reflash with a new kernel or
                    > rootfs. The copy the new set of modules across to the Debian disk
                    > partiton, and turnup back into Debian.
                    >
                    > Just remember to run "depmod -a" whenever you change the set of kernel
                    > modules that are installed, and then modprobe will handle the
                    > dependencies for you (as long as all the required modules are
                    installed).

                    > -- Rod

                  • jimmyfergus
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 23, 2006
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jimmyfergus"
                      > I thought it took about 9W for the slug, and about 2-3W for a laptop
                      > drive?
                      >
                      > The http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/OverClockTheSlug gives the
                      > 9W value.
                      >
                      > The PSU is probably very inefficient, so the total draw must be ~13W.

                      I just hooked up a Kill-a-watt meter to my slug, and the total draw
                      from the socket was 5W, while powering a laptop hard drive (Samsung
                      MP0603H). Impressively low! Not sure how the Wiki text got it to
                      suck down 9W, or else my Kill-a-watt is duff...

                      Unsurprisingly, the power factor of the PSU is very bad - the VA was 9-11.
                    • CN
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 23, 2006
                        On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:05:39 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:

                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jimmyfergus"
                        > > I thought it took about 9W for the slug, and about 2-3W for a laptop
                        > > drive?
                        > >
                        > > The http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/OverClockTheSlug gives the
                        > > 9W value.
                        > >
                        > > The PSU is probably very inefficient, so the total draw must be ~13W.
                        >
                        > I just hooked up a Kill-a-watt meter to my slug, and the total draw
                        > from the socket was 5W, while powering a laptop hard drive (Samsung
                        > MP0603H). Impressively low! Not sure how the Wiki text got it to
                        > suck down 9W, or else my Kill-a-watt is duff...
                        >
                        > Unsurprisingly, the power factor of the PSU is very bad - the VA was 9-11.

                        I am not surprised at all at your 5W. About 3 watts for the slug, and about 2 for the drive. Good drives takes a little less when not active, takes about 2.5 to 3 when starting up.

                        The power factor of 0.5 you mention is nothing bad at all for low power equipments like that. I wonder these switching supplies present a capacitive or inductive load, do you know? If it is capacitive, it is even better than pf of 1.0, since it will slightly compensate for other inductive loads (almost all non heating loads are inductive).

                        Which brand of k-a-w meter are you using? I may want to buy one. I have been measuring devices power with a small series resistor and a digital ac voltmeter and doing the usual vector analysis to get the at the true power and pf.

                        Cordially, Chacko
                      • jimmyfergus
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 24, 2006
                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
                          > I am not surprised at all at your 5W. About 3 watts for the slug,
                          and about 2
                          > for the drive. Good drives takes a little less when not active,
                          takes about 2.5
                          > to 3 when starting up.

                          Yeah - I was only surprised because of the Wiki text which said it
                          would be 9W (with no drive, I assume).

                          I've no idea what sort of load it's presenting - the meter just
                          presents Watts or VA readings. "Kill-A-Watt" is the model name.
                          http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/kill_a_watt_electric_usage_monitor_review.
                          A fairly cheap device - I have no idea about accuracy...

                          James.
                        • Øyvind Repvik
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 24, 2006
                            jimmyfergus wrote:
                            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
                            >> I am not surprised at all at your 5W. About 3 watts for the slug,
                            > and about 2
                            >> for the drive. Good drives takes a little less when not active,
                            > takes about 2.5
                            >> to 3 when starting up.
                            >
                            > Yeah - I was only surprised because of the Wiki text which said it
                            > would be 9W (with no drive, I assume).

                            My guess would be 9W when it's powering two 5V 0.5A devices at max power
                            (ie, 5W total), plus ~3W for the slug itself adding ~1W for "good
                            measure" ;-)

                            Regards,
                            Øyvind
                          • CN
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                              On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:37:40 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:

                              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
                              > > I am not surprised at all at your 5W. About 3 watts for the slug,
                              > and about 2
                              > > for the drive. Good drives takes a little less when not active,
                              > takes about 2.5
                              > > to 3 when starting up.
                              >
                              > Yeah - I was only surprised because of the Wiki text which said it
                              > would be 9W (with no drive, I assume).
                              >
                              > I've no idea what sort of load it's presenting - the meter just
                              > presents Watts or VA readings. "Kill-A-Watt" is the model name.
                              > http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/kill_a_watt_electric_usage_monitor_review.
                              > A fairly cheap device - I have no idea about accuracy...
                              >
                              > James.

                              James,

                              I bought one of these meters, and it is a fine little meter. Thanks for introducing us to it. I got the same 5W power reading for my slug with one notebook hard drive as you got.

                              They have a stated accuracy of 0.2%; if it is true, that is quite accurate for most works. One will be surprised to find the big variations in power intake by various things at your home. When shopping for items take this meter along with you :) BTW, a good rule of thumb is that it costs $1 per year per watt of electricity ( here in california at 11.4 c/kwh) !! Some old telephone wall warts might be costing you $20 per year, not to mention the waste of energy!

                              BTW, in usa, this meter is available for $22.50 including shipping at
                              http://www.supermediastore.com/

                              Cordially, Chacko
                            • jimmyfergus
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 1, 2006
                                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:

                                > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:37:40 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:
                                > > "Kill-A-Watt" is the model name.
                                >
                                > I bought one of these meters, and it is a fine little meter. Thanks for
                                > introducing us to it. I got the same 5W power reading for my slug
                                with one
                                > notebook hard drive as you got.
                                >
                                > They have a stated accuracy of 0.2%; if it is true, that is quite
                                accurate for
                                > most works. One will be surprised to find the big variations in
                                power intake by
                                > various things at your home. When shopping for items take this
                                meter along
                                > with you :) BTW, a good rule of thumb is that it costs $1 per year
                                per watt of
                                > electricity ( here in california at 11.4 c/kwh) !! Some old
                                telephone wall warts
                                > might be costing you $20 per year, not to mention the waste of energy!

                                Yeah, it's quite interesting. I lent the meter to some friends who
                                tried just about everything in their house. They were stunned their
                                microwave used over a kilowatt. Not sure where they thought the 800W
                                output was going to come from.

                                $1 per Watt per year is the rule of thumb I've been working from.
                                Apparently, 1 ton of coal makes 2500kWh, so there's another calc to
                                do. My computer at work uses 140W at idle (two Xeons! - 220W under
                                load), so that would be half a ton of coal a year if I didn't turn it
                                off at night. Annoys me when I see lots of people's machines on all
                                night just so they don't have to wait a minute in the morning for it
                                to start up.

                                J.
                              • CN
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 2, 2006
                                  On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 01:51:37 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:

                                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:37:40 -0000, jimmyfergus wrote:
                                  > > > "Kill-A-Watt" is the model name.
                                  > >
                                  > > I bought one of these meters, and it is a fine little meter. Thanks for
                                  > > introducing us to it...

                                  > BTW, a good rule of thumb is that it costs $1 per year
                                  > per watt of electricity ( here in california at 11.4 c/kwh) !! Some old
                                  > telephone wall warts might be costing you $20 per year, not to mention the waste of energy!
                                  >
                                  > Yeah, it's quite interesting. I lent the meter to some friends who
                                  > tried just about everything in their house...
                                  >
                                  > $1 per Watt per year is the rule of thumb I've been working from.
                                  > Apparently, 1 ton of coal makes 2500kWh, so there's another calc to
                                  > do. My computer at work uses 140W at idle (two Xeons! - 220W under
                                  > load), so that would be half a ton of coal a year if I didn't turn it
                                  > off at night. Annoys me when I see lots of people's machines on all
                                  > night just so they don't have to wait a minute in the morning for it
                                  > to start up.
                                  >
                                  > J.

                                  Well, another very easy thing to do is to at least turn off that monitor when you walk away from your computer. Most monitors these days can be configured to sleep when the user is not using the keyboard/mouse, and the power consumption might go down from 120 watts (crt type) to 5 or 10 when in sleep mode.

                                  NOTE!! By running those screen displays for ever, (which may be fun to watch for about 30 seconds :), the monitor never goes to sleep!!! The same person may think twice before giving the same $50 they waste to a charity :) :)

                                  BTW, if you computer is in an airconditioned place, the cooling of this 50watts might take another 100 watts of energy.

                                  Cordially, Chacko