Re: ftpd configuration

  • mrthreeplates
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 14, 2004
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "nslu23" <thomas.schanzer@w...> wrote:
      > Hi guys,
      >
      > eventually i have managed to find something that looks like a ftp
      > server ;-). i downloaded the ftpd from the romfs.tar.gz file and
      > copied it to the nslu2. i tried to put it in /share/hdd/conf/bin and
      > it seems to work, but i wonder how to configure it. i think i'd need
      > to create a ftpd.conf and maybe some other files, but i have no idea
      > how to write them or in which directory i have to put them and the
      > ftpd program itself.
      >
      > could anyone give me a hint what i have to do?

      You configure the ftpd from the romfs build by tuning
      the line in /etc/inetd.conf. ftpd supports some command
      line options. I use -lq -u 022. This means log to syslog,
      omit banner messages, and set the umask to 022.

      The main thing to consider for this ftpd is your password file.
      If you want anonymous ftp access, make sure you have a ftp user.
      Make sure you have the home directory for the ftp user set
      correctly. If you don't want anonymous access, delete the ftp
      user (simply "x"ing out the password will not work).

      For all of the other users, either delete ("x"out) the
      passwords or set them to something only you know. Otherwise, if
      you open ftpd up to the internet you risk allowing anyone to
      log in that knows the default passwords for the nslu2's accounts.

      For even more security, change your root account to another
      name besides "root" (e.g. "onlymyroot"). In that way, hackers
      have to guess both the username *and* password.

      See any standard unix man page for ftpd for more information.

      Others here have posted wu-ftpd (a much more sophisticated ftp daemon)
      that you might want to try. I use the ftpd from the romfs file
      (default linksys sources from snapgear) and it works fine for me.

      > by the way ... when i startup the daemon and try to get a connection
      > to it it takes very long before the ftpd answers and asks for a
      > username. is this because i havent done any configuration yet? any
      > other idea?

      I've noticed this too. Don't know why it happens. Could be
      a bug, misconfiguration or a simple security feature. You could try
      to use strace on ftpd to debug it. strace is also in the romfs
      tar file that I've uploaded.

      Cheers,

      George

    • andreas_baumunk@yahoo.de
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mrthreeplates"
        <mrthreeplates@y...> wrote:
        > > by the way ... when i startup the daemon and try to get a
        connection
        > > to it it takes very long before the ftpd answers and asks for a
        > > username. is this because i havent done any configuration yet?
        any
        > > other idea?
        >
        > I've noticed this too. Don't know why it happens. Could be
        > a bug, misconfiguration or a simple security feature. You could try
        > to use strace on ftpd to debug it. strace is also in the romfs
        > tar file that I've uploaded.

        I saw this on my box, too. Finally, I found out that the mac address
        filtering I setup on my wlan router/switch (SMC 2804) was the reason.
        Then I just added the mac address of the NSLU2 and it worked well
        afterwards.

        -Andreas
      • mrthreeplates
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, andreas_baumunk@y... wrote:
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mrthreeplates"
          > <mrthreeplates@y...> wrote:
          > > > by the way ... when i startup the daemon and try to get a
          > connection
          > > > to it it takes very long before the ftpd answers and asks for a
          > > > username. is this because i havent done any configuration yet?
          > any
          > > > other idea?
          > >
          > > I've noticed this too. Don't know why it happens. Could be
          > > a bug, misconfiguration or a simple security feature. You could try
          > > to use strace on ftpd to debug it. strace is also in the romfs
          > > tar file that I've uploaded.
          >
          > I saw this on my box, too. Finally, I found out that the mac address
          > filtering I setup on my wlan router/switch (SMC 2804) was the reason.
          > Then I just added the mac address of the NSLU2 and it worked well
          > afterwards.
          >
          > -Andreas

          Interesting! I don't have MAC filtering on (and never did), yet
          I had the problem. However, I just checked it (ftp) again and it
          seems to no longer have the delay. Wierd...

          Glad you found a solution that works for you.

          George