pkg version change info

  • CN
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
      How do I find the changes in a pkg of an installed version, and a new version
      available in the feeds?

      For example, I have php-apache - 5.0.4-1 ; and there is a new php-apache -
      5.1.4-1. I would like to find what changed, before installing the new ones on my
      unSlung.

      Cordially, Chacko
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
        CN wrote:
        > How do I find the changes in a pkg of an installed version, and a new
        > version available in the feeds?
        >
        > For example, I have php-apache - 5.0.4-1 ; and there is a new php-apache -
        > 5.1.4-1. I would like to find what changed, before installing the new
        > ones on my unSlung.

        You need to go to the upstream site for PHP and look at the ChangeLog
        (assuming they have one) between versions 5.0.4 and 5.1.4

        We don't keep separate ChangeLogs for the packages that we simply
        compile and put into the feeds. You need to go to the upstream author's
        site for that.

        You should be able to find the upstream URL from ipkg info.

        -- Rod
      • Rick DeNatale
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
          On 7/3/06, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-linux@...> wrote:

          > You need to go to the upstream site for PHP and look at the ChangeLog
          > (assuming they have one) between versions 5.0.4 and 5.1.4
          >
          > We don't keep separate ChangeLogs for the packages that we simply
          > compile and put into the feeds. You need to go to the upstream author's
          > site for that.
          >
          > You should be able to find the upstream URL from ipkg info.

          Danger Will Robinson! There's been a buzz on the "internets" of late
          about the effect on smaller distributions of the Free Software
          Foundation's lawyers going after Mepis for violation of the GPL
          because they (MEPIS) aren't providing the ability to get upstream
          source code from them directly:

          http://www.mepis.org/source

          The FSF maintains that the GPL requires this. Mepis is complying with
          their next release.

          While a lot of smaller distros see it as standard practice to provide
          upstream source via "inheritance" the high priests of the GPL
          (probably rightly) see this as a violation of the GPL, and they WILL
          enforce it.

          --
          Rick DeNatale

          IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator
          http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/

          Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
          http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
            Rick DeNatale wrote:
            > Danger Will Robinson! There's been a buzz on the "internets" of late
            > about the effect on smaller distributions of the Free Software
            > Foundation's lawyers going after Mepis for violation of the GPL
            > because they (MEPIS) aren't providing the ability to get upstream
            > source code from them directly:
            >
            > http://www.mepis.org/source <http://www.mepis.org/source>
            >
            > The FSF maintains that the GPL requires this. Mepis is complying with
            > their next release.
            >
            > While a lot of smaller distros see it as standard practice to provide
            > upstream source via "inheritance" the high priests of the GPL
            > (probably rightly) see this as a violation of the GPL, and they WILL
            > enforce it.

            We are well aware of our responsibilities under the GPL and take
            compliance with upstream licenses *very* seriously (e.g. the Intel
            license that forces us to have a click-through for our firmware releases).

            *All* source code that has *ever* been used to produce *any* nslu2-linux
            binary is available at http://sources.nslu2-linux.org/, and *will*
            remain there for as long as the project is alive (i.e. *nothing* ever
            gets deleted from that historical source code repository). And our
            build system automatically goes to that site if an upstream site removes
            it's copy of the source code, so we're even helping to make sure that
            our upstream sites comply with the GPL ...

            Hope that clears things up ...

            -- Rod
          • Rick DeNatale
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
              On 7/3/06, Rod Whitby <list.nslu2-linux@...> wrote:
              > Rick DeNatale wrote:
              > > Danger Will Robinson! There's been a buzz on the "internets" of late
              > > about the effect on smaller distributions of the Free Software
              > > Foundation's lawyers going after Mepis for violation of the GPL
              > > because they (MEPIS) aren't providing the ability to get upstream
              > > source code from them directly:
              > >
              > > http://www.mepis.org/source <http://www.mepis.org/source>
              > >
              > > The FSF maintains that the GPL requires this. Mepis is complying with
              > > their next release.
              > >
              > > While a lot of smaller distros see it as standard practice to provide
              > > upstream source via "inheritance" the high priests of the GPL
              > > (probably rightly) see this as a violation of the GPL, and they WILL
              > > enforce it.
              >
              > We are well aware of our responsibilities under the GPL and take
              > compliance with upstream licenses *very* seriously (e.g. the Intel
              > license that forces us to have a click-through for our firmware releases).
              >
              > *All* source code that has *ever* been used to produce *any* nslu2-linux
              > binary is available at http://sources.nslu2-linux.org/, and *will*
              > remain there for as long as the project is alive (i.e. *nothing* ever
              > gets deleted from that historical source code repository). And our
              > build system automatically goes to that site if an upstream site removes
              > it's copy of the source code, so we're even helping to make sure that
              > our upstream sites comply with the GPL ...
              >
              > Hope that clears things up ...

              Good news, and I wasn't trying to cause grief. I don't even have a
              slug but I lurk here because of a general interest in embedded linux
              stuff. I have been seeing a lot about the Mepis incident on various
              RSS feeds.

              One thing that I've noticed is that although it's pretty clear that
              most upstream developers have the intent of using GPL, the nuts and
              bolts of HOW they license their code is a bit shaky. For instance,
              Linus himself doesn't seem to put comment's in each source module
              granting license, but relies on having the COPYING file somewhere
              alongside the other files. Many others have followed suit. Having
              dealt a lot with corporate lawyers I'm not sure that this gives a
              clear legal trail to a license to all the code, but I don't suppose
              that it would ever get tested.