Disks no longer working

  • patjohnstew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2006
      My nslu2 (at 266mhz) was running opendebianslug, for quite a long
      time, but a few days ago I found it with orange leds, and it wouldn't
      respond to ssh. After that it wouldn't recognise the two hard drives
      attached to it, only the usb pen drive that the system files were
      stored on. I have since tested the latest upslug and openslug
      firmwares, same problem. The strange thing is the usb>ide adapters and
      disks work fine on my pc, and the usb pen drive works in any of the
      nslu2's usb ports (I've got three usb ports, I added an extra one from
      one of the howto's). I've also tried plugging a usb cable with 5v
      across it at the same time as a hard drive, to hopefully rule out any
      problem with the nslu2 power circuitry.

      Here are the errors from dmesg :
      With unslung 6.8 :
      SCSI error: host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 8000002
      Sense class 7, sense error 0, extended sense 0
      SCSI error: host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 8000002
      Sense class 7, sense error 0, extended sense 0
      SCSI error: host 0 id 0 lun 0 return code = 8000002
      Sense class 7, sense error 0, extended sense 0
      hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-1, assigned address 3
      usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-71)
      and with openslug 3.10 :
      usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
      usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
      usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
      usb 2-1: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
      usb-storage: device found at 2
      usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
      usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
      usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
      usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
      usb 2-1: reset full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
      1:0:0:0: scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
      usb-storage: device scan complete

      I don't have the exact error from the original flash, but it was
      similar, except with "usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71"
      repeated several times.

      Anyone got any ideas? I'm not adverse to soldering or multimetering,
      if needs be.