webcam modules -DebianSlug 3.10beta

  • downlalaway
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2006
      Hi, a first post here..

      I've done a fair but of searching but come up with little relevant on
      howto get a ov511 webcam into the 2.6.16 kernel of DebianSlug 3.10-beta.
      So far got a usb UPS, networked serving a combo epson usb cx3200
      printer scanner for both functions and got smnp and ICEwm +vncserver
      running so it all works well.

      Installing modules from the feed worked no problem for usblp and so
      usb printing works great.
      For webcam I installed ovcamchip and videodev from the ipkg feed
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/debianslug/cross/3.10-beta/
      and did a depmod -a
      Then 'modprobe ovcamchip' and 'modprobe videodev' so that they show up
      using lsmod:
      Module Size Used by
      ovcamchip 16776 0
      videodev 6112 0
      ixp400_eth 17980 0
      ixp400 946852 1 ixp400_eth
      usbhid 35876 0
      ext3 104232 1
      jbd 46612 1 ext3
      mbcache 5540 1 ext3

      From a disconnect and then reconnect I'm getting in syslog:
      Jul 2 14:25:12 nslu1 snmpd[939]: Connection from UDP: [192.168.1.19]:3057
      Jul 2 14:25:32 nslu1 kernel: usb 3-1.3: USB disconnect, address 6
      Jul 2 14:25:37 nslu1 kernel: usb 3-1.3: new full speed USB device
      using ohci_hcd and address 7
      Jul 2 14:25:37 nslu1 kernel: usb 3-1.3: configuration #1 chosen from
      1 choice

      The Creative webcam 3(Usb 1) is connected via a powered usb 1 hub, but
      direct connection to rear usb port 2 is the same.

      Grateful for any ideas of where going wrong or what might be missing.
      I'm guessing that the main culprit is that ov511.ko is needed and
      ovcamchip might do the job.
      With my mepis 2.6.15 box the modules ov511 and videodev auto-load with
      the webcam. No ovcamchip shows in lsmod although its available.

      If its a missing module -it'd be really great if there's a
      pre-compiled one available (even if tainted) -not ever done
      cross-compiling.
    • downlalaway
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
        Adding more info -I found the very recent requests for pwc and spa5xx
        drivers (was looking too much for ovcamchip specific).
        Noting these I also added the compat_ioctl32.

        Did depmod -a, checked it loads with modprobe compat_ioctl32 and then
        rebooted.
        Unfortunately I still can't get it to recognise the ov511 webcam.
        dmesg | tail gives on insertion:
        usb 3-1.3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 8
        usb 3-1.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
        I loaded the modules with modprobe again to check and reinserted.

        I've just got this operational on a debianised Linkstation running
        2.6.17.3 which from lsmod gives:
        ov511 91108 0
        compat_ioctl32 1984 1 ov511
        videodev 11456 1 ov511
        ipv6 337388 20
        usbhid 53380 0
        -the same webcam having just been removed after successfuly operating.

        I'm struggling with this having tried for very many hours and any help
        would be very much appreciated.
        Thanks.