ipkg udpate fails

  • Jeremy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
      I'm trying to run 'ipkg update' on my NSLU2 running Unslung 6.8 beta
      which is unslung to a USB drive:

      # ipkg -verbose_wget update
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz
      wget: No such file or directory
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz
      wget: No such file or directory
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta/Packages.gz
      wget: No such file or directory
      An error ocurred, return value: 3.
      Collected errors:
      ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 127: `wget
      --passive-ftp -P /tmp/ipkg-8U6Ote
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz'
      ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 127: `wget
      --passive-ftp -P /tmp/ipkg-8U6Ote
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz'
      ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 127: `wget
      --passive-ftp -P /tmp/ipkg-8U6Ote
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta/Packages.gz'

      I've searched for solutions and have ruled out DNS problems and http
      proxies. I do not go through a proxy. DNS is fine from the slug as I
      can run the above wget commands with no problems (as well as ping
      hosts by name, etc.).

      I have noticed that the local directory in the wget commands
      (/tmp/ipkg-8U60te) does not exist (however, two other /tmp/ipkg-*
      directories are created on each run) - maybe this is the problem?
      Normally when running wget with -P the given directory must already
      exist. I would create the directory and then run the command, but the
      name is apparently created randomly on each run.

      Has anyone come across this before? Suggestions? I may try writing a
      shell script wrapper to wget to create the -P directory, but I know it
      shouldn't need to be that way.

      Thanks,
      Jeremy
    • Tom Coburn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
        well I know you have to ipkg install wget  but other then that have no idea

        On 7/1/06, Jeremy <yermej@...> wrote:
[...]

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • João
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
          Have you configured the Gateway IP correctly in LAN administration
          page? If you have a wrong IP configured there (i.e., configured a IPO
          that is not the IP of your Gateway to Internet) you could get this
          error whrn trying to update ipkg.

          JS

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Coburn" <tcoburn@...> wrote:

          > well I know you have to ipkg install wget but other then that have
          no idea

          > On 7/1/06, Jeremy <yermej@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm trying to run 'ipkg update' on my NSLU2 running Unslung 6.8 beta
          > > which is unslung to a USB drive:
          > >
          > > # ipkg -verbose_wget update
          > > Downloading

          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz
          > > wget: No such file or directory
          > > Downloading

          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz
          > > wget: No such file or directory
          > > Downloading

          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta/Packages.gz
          > > wget: No such file or directory
          > > An error ocurred, return value: 3.
          > > Collected errors:
          > > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 127: `wget
          > > --passive-ftp -P /tmp/ipkg-8U6Ote

          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz'
          > > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 127: `wget
          > > --passive-ftp -P /tmp/ipkg-8U6Ote

          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz'
          > > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 127: `wget
          > > --passive-ftp -P /tmp/ipkg-8U6Ote

          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta/Packages.gz
          > > '
          > >
          > > I've searched for solutions and have ruled out DNS problems and http
          > > proxies. I do not go through a proxy. DNS is fine from the slug as I
          > > can run the above wget commands with no problems (as well as ping
          > > hosts by name, etc.).
          > >
          > > I have noticed that the local directory in the wget commands
          > > (/tmp/ipkg-8U60te) does not exist (however, two other /tmp/ipkg-*
          > > directories are created on each run) - maybe this is the problem?
          > > Normally when running wget with -P the given directory must already
          > > exist. I would create the directory and then run the command, but the
          > > name is apparently created randomly on each run.
          > >
          > > Has anyone come across this before? Suggestions? I may try writing a
          > > shell script wrapper to wget to create the -P directory, but I know it
          > > shouldn't need to be that way.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Jeremy
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • CN
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
            I like to kill all the unncessary (for my application) running programs on my
            unSlung 6.8.

            Could somebody please teach me what these program do (from the top ouput):

            QuickSet
            do_mount
            usb-storage-0
            khubd
            sd-mc-thread
            ixp425 ixp0
            mtdblockd
            jffs2_gcd_mtd4
            scsi_eh_1
            ixp425_csr

            Thanks,
            Chacko
          • Marcel Nijenhof
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
              On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 23:29 -0700, CN wrote:
              > I like to kill all the unncessary (for my application) running programs on my
              > unSlung 6.8.
              >
              > Could somebody please teach me what these program do (from the top ouput):
              >
              > QuickSet
              > do_mount
              > usb-storage-0
              > khubd
              > sd-mc-thread
              > ixp425 ixp0
              > mtdblockd
              > jffs2_gcd_mtd4
              > scsi_eh_1
              > ixp425_csr

              Some of them are not really programs. They are kernel threads running
              that are scheduled as normal programs:
              usb-storage-0 (usb storadge driver)
              kupdated (disk flush daemon)
              khubd (usb hub driver)
              sd-mc-thread (scsi disk driver?)
              ixp425_csr (chipset driver)
              ixp425 ixp0 (network driver)
              mtdblockd (flash chip driver)
              jffs2_gcd_mtd4 (flash filesystem)
              scsi_eh_1 (scsi dirver)

              QuickSet and do_mount are programs from linksys.

              --
              Marceln
            • Jeremy
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
                The gateway is correct in the web interface and the routing table
                shows the correct default gateway.

                I think it might have something to do with the fact that the target
                directory in /tmp given to wget doesn't exist, but I don't have any
                idea why it wouldn't be created. Two other /tmp directories are
                created every time I run ipkg so it isn't permissions.

                I have successfully run ipkg update once in the past. It was after
                unslinging to the usb hard drive. I don't know what's going on. Maybe
                I'll format the drive, flash the slug and start over again.

                Thanks for the suggestions.

                Jeremy