Re: [nslu2-linux] how do I do multiple websites on NSLU2 with apache php-apache

  • Tom Coburn
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
      its ok, thank you CN :)  I don't mind at all that the admin panel is controlled by
      thttpd,  just so long as I can change the port its listening on that doesn't matter :)
      mainly just wanted my website on apache :)   thanks much.

      --Original Message Text---
      From: Tom Coburn
      Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:05:36 -0400

      I am using Unslug 6.8 beta on my NSLU2, just installed it yesterday for the first time,

      I did
      ipkg install php-Apache

      to install the apache 2.0.54 and PHP 5 stuff..

      How do I host a website on here so it uses port 80 for both the web panel, and my domain?

      I looked at this page:

      on "how to virtual hosting with thttpd" but the images on that page are gone, tried reloading a few times but images are still gone :(

      all I'm trying to do is host my domain on the NSLU2 with php,apache,mysql support so I can test forum software on it, does anyone have a tutorial on how to accomplish this?

      I don't want the website to run on port 8000 I want it to run on port 80, I don't care if the web panel runs on another port other then 80 or not, but the website I don't want to, does anyone have a tutorial or walkthru on how to do this? I'd rather use apache then thttpd just because I'm more fimilar with apache

      thanks

      Tom,

      Let me give you a few guide lines, some of these you might already know. You can ask me more questions. I do run apache on unSlung5.5 now. The admin web pages is run by thttpd, that was part of the linksys. You can run apache and the thttpd at the same time, but you need to tell apache not to grab all the ports but only the ones it wants, in this case 80. I forgot now exactly what the setting is, but Listen may be the one... There are some other interactions too. It may be difficult to migrate the web admin pages to your apche, since it is sort intgrated into the orignal page, but I am sure it can be done too.

      Cordially, Chacko

    • CN
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
        Tom,

        I forgot to mentione one important item (I think a bug in apache2 on unSlung). For virtual hosting setups, if you use more than one port at the same time, say 80, and 8000 then apache2 does not work at all. I had used the two port configuration earlier on another linux fine, before migrating to unSlung. I need to log in a bug report for this.

        Cordially, Chacko

        --Original Message Text---

        From: Tom Coburn
        Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:05:36 -0400

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/VirtualHostingWithTHTTPD

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
          I just noticed,

          I can change  Thttpd's port in the Linksys web panel  (otherwise its overwrited on boot the wiki says)

          which is cool

          but I cannot make apache2  use port 80, I don't know why :(

          I changed Thttpd  to port 8080,  and tried to set apache2 to port 80 instead,
          but its not working apache2 won't use port 80 not sure why that is.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
            Hello!
            As I recall from working with Apache in desktop Linux, some things need to
            be set or even changed from the default settings via a configuration file.
            Examine the etc directory for the httpd.conf file. That file should contain
            those settings. Next follow the usual guidelines for virtual hosts. And
            above all backup your work.
            --
            Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
            "The Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

            Behalf
> [...]
            apache then thttpd just
            > because I'm more fimilar with apache
            >
            > thanks
            >

            > Tom,
            >
            > Let me give you a few guide lines, some of these you might already
            know. You can
            > ask me more questions. I do run apache on unSlung5.5 now. The admin web
            pages is run by
            > thttpd, that was part of the linksys. You can run apache and the thttpd at
            the same time, but
            > you need to tell apache not to grab all the ports but only the ones it
            wants, in this case 80. I
            > forgot now exactly what the setting is, but Listen may be the one... There
            are some other
            > interactions too. It may be difficult to migrate the web admin pages to
            your apche, since it is
            > sort intgrated into the orignal page, but I am sure it can be done too.

          • Tom Coburn

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2006
                Tom,

                Are you implying that port 80 works ok on unSlung 5.5 ? But with the same apache config it does not work in 6.8? If that case I do not know it is a puzzle to me.

                But it does not work on unSlung at all, then most likely your thttpd is grabbing port 80 before apache can startup. Try the check

                httpd -S
                see if you get any diagnostics... It port 80 not available, then, I am pretty sure another application, most likely thttpd has already bound port 80.

                Experiment. Just kill the thttpd daemon, and then start apache again, and see it fixes the problem... Of course, you have a need to have thttpd server 80 also, then you have no easy way out.

                Cordially, Chacko

                --Original Message Text---