Installing Apache

  • neilsimms
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 1:01 PM
      I have just installed DebianSlug 3.10 (Upgrading from UnSlung 5...) -
      so far so good.
      However I cant find apache, to install it.
      I've run ipkg update, then ipkg install apache, but I get:

      Nothing to be done
      An error ocurred, return value: 4.
      Collected errors:
      Cannot find package apache.
      Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'

      The wiki is a little contradictory - should I be using ipkg, or
      apt-get (apt-get is not installed).

      Thanks,
      Neil
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 3:03 PM
        Does Debian have an "ipkg" command?

        I wonder if you, perhaps, have also created a *new* hybrid installation:
        "unDebianSlugslung"? "DebianUnslung"? :-)

        If you installed overtop of the Unslung distribution, you may well have all
        manner of strangeness; there is no defined "upgrade" path from Unslung to
        any other distribution (including OpenSlug). What you end up with is pretty
        much undefined.

        (If ipkg *does* come with the debianslug installation, then forget the above
        paragraph.)

        Mike (mwester)

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 4:01 AM
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > Does Debian have an "ipkg" command?

          I was not expecting it to have ipkg. The wiki usualy refers to apt-get
          and dpkg. The README with the installer points to the wiki here:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/UsingTheBinary

          Near the bottom of the page, it says that packages are downloaded
          using the same utility as Unslung - ipkg

          With Unslung, I had to ipkg install unslung-feeds ; ipkg update to get
          this list of feeds up-to-date.
          The Debian install already has an extensive list of available
          packages, which does include unslung-feeds, but nothing named
          debian-feeds, or slugos-le-feeds or similar. There's no apache package
          in this list either.
          I tried installing unslung-feeds, but that failed.

          So, without it being in the ipkg feed, and without having apt-get and
          dpkg installed, how do I proceed?

          (BTW, the install was done by booting without the harddrive attached.
          Using the web pages to put it into 'Upgrade mode'. Using the Sercom
          util to load the image. ssh into the slug. turnup init to the
          harddrive (that still contained UnSlung.) I've since done turnup flash
          , turnup memstick - to get it running without the hd at all. It runs,
          but I'm no better off.)

          I'll probably re-flash it then turnup to a newly formatted memory
          stick and see if that helps.
        • neilsimms
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4 6:34 AM
            I've re-flashed DebianSlug 3.10.

            Before running turnup memstick, I checked what package tool was available.

            ipkg is there, apt-get and dpkg are not.

            ipkg list does not show apache.
            It does show cherokee though...

            How do I get apache installed on a fresh DebianSlug?

            Thanks,
            Neil