Re: [nslu2-linux] New to Group and I have a few questions since I'm stuck with running windows

  • Brian Wood
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
      On Jun 30, 2006, at 7:14 PM, feralcat44g wrote:

      > I'm new and I think I screwed up my NSLU2 by installing UnSlug on it
      > because I can't catch the Telenet window and I'm not sure how else to
      > get into it without buying a Mac or extra PC that's running Linux. I'm
      > kinda stuck with windows and I don't get to play around much with
      > Linux. I made my NLSU2 into a turbo NLSU2 and added a Sandisk 512 MB
      > USB memory to port 2 while I have a Maxtor one touch 2 200 GB drive
      > off of port 1. I just want to know if there's a way I can get started
      > in adding packages and making my slug run better so I don't have to
      > rely on my pc to handle so much. I've read the wiki pages and it seems
      > I can do a whole lot more than just placing my files onto the drive
      > and letting them sit until I need them and then move or copy them back
      > to my HDD's on my PC.

      You have me confused a bit, if you mean you would have to buy a Mac
      or a PC in order to run an ssh client you can run putty on your
      Windows machine as an ssh client.

      I admit I don't use Windows or unslung though, certainly with
      openslug any ssh client will normally get you in after you flash the
      new F/W.

      Actually, flashing openslug is a great way to get to "play around"
      with Linux, it really is fully-fledged Linux system, without the
      Linksys detritus to get in your way. You can duplicate any of the
      original Linksys functionality once you learn just a bit about Linux.
      A wonderful learning environment for under $100.

      And it's probably best to learn Linux from a command line perspective
      before playing around with all of the GUI options available on more
      expensive hardware, it will stand you in good stead when your
      graphical environment craps out :-)
    • feralcat44g
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
        No. I'm just having a lot of trouble getting my Hyperterminal to work
        with my slug to even get into it to update it's packages. I have
        played around with Linux before but not in great detail and I used the
        graphical interfaces not the command line so I'm not sure if I should
        use the other binaries than UnSlung. I do have a copy of Knoppix but
        even logging in using Knoppix has given problems due to the fact I
        can't change the settings on it. I'm seriously starting to think
        windows hates me or that it's afraid of my slug. I'm currently doing
        various things I can think of to try to get Hyperterminal to work and
        it's still timing out and can't connect.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
          On Jul 1, 2006, at 3:08 AM, feralcat44g wrote:

          > No. I'm just having a lot of trouble getting my Hyperterminal to work
          > with my slug to even get into it to update it's packages. I have
          > played around with Linux before but not in great detail and I used the
          > graphical interfaces not the command line so I'm not sure if I should
          > use the other binaries than UnSlung. I do have a copy of Knoppix but
          > even logging in using Knoppix has given problems due to the fact I
          > can't change the settings on it. I'm seriously starting to think
          > windows hates me or that it's afraid of my slug. I'm currently doing
          > various things I can think of to try to get Hyperterminal to work and
          > it's still timing out and can't connect.
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:

          Please forgive me for being pretty much totally ignorant of Windows
          (intentionally), but:

          Isn't Hyperterminal a comm program pretty much designed for serial
          communication with modems and such ?? I didn't think it knew how to
          communicate over a TCP/IP network directly.

          Thus I would expect you'd have problems using hyperterminal.

          Doesn't Windows have a telnet client built-in ? Seems to me I used it
          as such once, but the system's owner might have installed a CLI
          telnet program that wasn't original to Windows.

          So get to a command prompt, DOS prompt or whatever Redmond is calling
          it these days, and simply try typing:

          telnet 192.168.1.77

          Or whatever the IP address of your slug might be.

          Seems to me that at one point you had to enable telnet via the
          graphical screen on the slug to get this to work, don't know if
          that's still the case with unslung or not.

          If it is, you'll have to go to this with your browser:

          http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi

          And enable telnet access. Of course substitute the real IP of your
          slug if it's different.

          The only reason I'm aware of for running unslung instead of the
          others is if you want to preserve the functionality of the Linksys
          firmware. All of those functions can be duplicated, and in fact
          improved on, by using the other F/Ws, but if you're new to Linux you
          might want to wait 'till you're up to speed a bit more with Linux
          before switching.
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
            I'm confused about where and what it is you are trying to do:

            Are you attempting to "catch" the redboot window as the system starts up?
            Or, have you already installed the Unslung firmware, and you are trying to
            telnet into the NSLU2 in order to use the system?

            Mike (mwester)

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2006
              I was thinking on it and I wasn't fully sure if I needed to telnet
              into redboot and updating the packages for UnSlung until I talked to
              one of the group moderators the other night and I was told that I
              didn't need to telnet into redboot in order to update the packages.
              I'm not familair with the Linux command line to see if I can run
              another linux version for it. I have downloaded OpenSlug but haven't
              had the guts to flash the firmware to even try to use it. I'm just
              looking at doing a lan based webserver, media server, proxy server,
              and WINS server. I've arleady made my slug into one of the turbo slugs
              by using a xacto knife and nail clippers to remove the resistor.
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
                I'm going to go ahead and flash my firmware to OpenSlug instead of
                using UnSlung. I hope that I don't have too many problems with it. If
                nothing else at least I can come back to the group and ask more
                questions and hopefully get things working again.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
                  On Jul 10, 2006, at 6:14 PM, feralcat44g wrote:

                  > I'm going to go ahead and flash my firmware to OpenSlug instead of
                  > using UnSlung. I hope that I don't have too many problems with it. If
                  > nothing else at least I can come back to the group and ask more
                  > questions and hopefully get things working again.
                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "feralcat44g" <feralcat44g@...>
                  > wrote:

                  Hmmm...

                  Just as I decide to take one of my OpenSlug units and try Unslung on
                  it :-)

                  The nice thing is you can always re-flash whatever you want in just a
                  few minutes.

                  Obviously if you run into problems this is the place to ask for help.
                • Ramiro Barreiro
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2006
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood <beww@...> wrote:

                    > Isn't Hyperterminal a comm program pretty much designed for serial
                    > communication with modems and such ?? I didn't think it knew how to
                    > communicate over a TCP/IP network directly.

                    Hyperterminal do know how to communicate over a TCP/IP network
                    directly. More or less...
                    If someone needs a windows telnet client I recommend putty, it is not
                    limited to ssh.