Re: spca5xx binaries

  • fransmeulenbroeks
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 30, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "willemweveramsterdam"
      > On my own computer (XP, prof.) I can't run Ubuntu in VMWare so I
      > can't cross compile. I try to install the native compiler package
      > but I run out of space, does anyone know the necessary space to
      > build native on Openslug?

      Best way is to make a dual boot system and set e.g. 20 GB aside for
      linux. No idea on the openslug minimal space requirements for the build.
    • fransmeulenbroeks
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 4, 2006
        Heino, didn't forget about you.
        Howver the latest version of spca5xx in the repository does not build
        as the original source is not available any more on the web
        And when I tried to upgrade to the latest version, the build failed

        This will probably take a little bit longer.

        Frans

        <heinolenting@...> wrote:

        > Hello Frans,
        >
        > > If there is a package but it is not in openslug, I'll happily build
        > > you a 3.10 version for you over the weekend.
        > > Otherwise, please provide a link to where this driver comes from
        > and
        > > I'll see if I can work out something with you.
        >
        > That will be real nice if you build a package for me. You are using
        > 3.10 so I need to upgrade my Openslug from 2.7 to 3.10. But that's
        > no problem.
        >
        > On my own computer (XP, prof.) I can't run Ubuntu in VMWare so I
        > can't cross compile. I try to install the native compiler package
        > but I run out of space, does anyone know the necessary space to
        > build native on Openslug?
        >
        > Thank you very much.
        >
        > Heino
        >

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg C Levine"
        > <hansolofalcon@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello!
        > > Frans, I'm glad you asked, the code is available from the Source
        > Forge
        > > managed site at http://spca50x.sf.net . You'll need to follow their
        > > guidelines to find the latest and greatest driver code ball. Also
        > there is a
        > > typo in the instructions for the make file. To build correctly,
        > check to see
        > > what the options are for the GNU program ld, simply feed it the
        > ld --help
        > > command string and change accordingly, it's the one for the driver
        > to be
        > > relocated at will inside machine memory.
        > > --
        > > Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@
        > > "The Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

      • Gregg C Levine
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 4, 2006
          Hello!
          They aren't? Frans, which release are you referring to? The last time I
          checked all of them were still available from http://spca50x.sf.net . Now do
          you mean the IPKG repository or the original project pages over there? I do
          remember sending you that information, via the list earlier on. Please
          clarify, "And when I tried to upgrade to the latest version, the build
          failed." -was that at my commented relocate error message for the linker? Or
          something different?
          --

        • fransmeulenbroeks
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 4, 2006
            Ah, found out what was wrong.
            The bitbake file referred to the 20060202 release which at that time
            was current but now resides in the oldrelease directory, hence it did
            not retrieve that version.

            With that knowledge I can try to build it. (but not today)
            I've also been playing with the 20060501 release but without too much
            success. Will try to dig into this somewhere in the upcoming week.

            Frans

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 5, 2006
              Fixed the bb file to look into the oldrelease dir, but the build
              fails. I doubt if the 20060202 ever worked/compiled for openslug (that
              is probably why it is not in).

              Frans.

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "fransmeulenbroeks"
              <fransmeulenbroeks@...> wrote:

              > Ah, found out what was wrong.
              > The bitbake file referred to the 20060202 release which at that time
              > was current but now resides in the oldrelease directory, hence it did
              > not retrieve that version.
              >
              > With that knowledge I can try to build it. (but not today)
              > I've also been playing with the 20060501 release but without too much
              > success. Will try to dig into this somewhere in the upcoming week.
              >
              > Frans
              >
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg C Levine"
              > <hansolofalcon@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello!
              > > They aren't? Frans, which release are you referring to? The last
              time I
              > > checked all of them were still available from http://spca50x.sf.net
              > . Now do
              > > you mean the IPKG repository or the original project pages over
              > there? I do
              > > remember sending you that information, via the list earlier on. Please
              > > clarify, "And when I tried to upgrade to the latest version, the build
              > > failed." -was that at my commented relocate error message for the
              > linker? Or
              > > something different?
              > > --
              > > Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@

            • andrewnslu2
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 10, 2006
                Did anyone ever get this built? I remeber building this package native
                on Debian Installer - which built fine but didn't work due to lack of
                V4L support in the kernel. Now I have DebianSlug, and need this
                module. Anyone compiled it at all for 2.6.16 PREEMPT native or other
                wise (and be able to send me a ko...)

                <fransmeulenbroeks@...> wrote:

                > Fixed the bb file to look into the oldrelease dir, but the build
                > fails. I doubt if the 20060202 ever worked/compiled for openslug (that
                > is probably why it is not in).
                >
                > Frans.
                >
                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "fransmeulenbroeks"
                > <fransmeulenbroeks@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Ah, found out what was wrong.
                > > The bitbake file referred to the 20060202 release which at that time
                > > was current but now resides in the oldrelease directory, hence it did
                > > not retrieve that version.
                > >
                > > With that knowledge I can try to build it. (but not today)
                > > I've also been playing with the 20060501 release but without too much
                > > success. Will try to dig into this somewhere in the upcoming week.
                > >
                > > Frans
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg C Levine"
                > > <hansolofalcon@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello!
                > > > They aren't? Frans, which release are you referring to? The last
                > time I
                > > > checked all of them were still available from http://spca50x.sf.net
                > > . Now do
                > > > you mean the IPKG repository or the original project pages over
                > > there? I do
                > > > remember sending you that information, via the list earlier on.
                Please
                > > > clarify, "And when I tried to upgrade to the latest version, the
                build
                > > > failed." -was that at my commented relocate error message for the
                > > linker? Or
                > > > something different?
                > > > --
                > > > Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@

              • david
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 10, 2006
                  On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 20:13 +0000, andrewnslu2 wrote:
                  > Did anyone ever get this built? I remeber building this package native
                  > on Debian Installer - which built fine but didn't work due to lack of
                  > V4L support in the kernel. Now I have DebianSlug, and need this
                  > module. Anyone compiled it at all for 2.6.16 PREEMPT native or other
                  > wise (and be able to send me a ko...)
                  >
                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "fransmeulenbroeks"
                  > <fransmeulenbroeks@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Fixed the bb file to look into the oldrelease dir, but the build
                  > > fails. I doubt if the 20060202 ever worked/compiled for openslug (that
                  > > is probably why it is not in).
                  > >
                  > > Frans.
                  > >
                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "fransmeulenbroeks"
                  > > <fransmeulenbroeks@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Ah, found out what was wrong.
                  > > > The bitbake file referred to the 20060202 release which at that time
                  > > > was current but now resides in the oldrelease directory, hence it did
                  > > > not retrieve that version.
                  > > >
                  > > > With that knowledge I can try to build it. (but not today)
                  > > > I've also been playing with the 20060501 release but without too much
                  > > > success. Will try to dig into this somewhere in the upcoming week.
                  > > >
                  > > > Frans
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg C Levine"

                  > > time I
                  > > > . Now do
                  > > > there? I do
                  > Please
                  > build
                  > > > linker? Or
                  > > > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  You can get it on my web site :
                  http://slugplayer.free.fr/pub/spca5xx/
                  precompiled module for debianslug and source modified for debianslug.

                  David
                  --
                  http://slugplayer.free.fr
                • andrewnslu2
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 12, 2006
                    Thanks! works great!

                    Andrew

                    www.hifihacks.com

                    > You can get it on my web site :
                    > http://slugplayer.free.fr/pub/spca5xx/
                    > precompiled module for debianslug and source modified for debianslug.
                    >
                    > David
                    > --
                    > http://slugplayer.free.fr

                  • h8dc
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
                      Thanks for making your page available (and thanks to google for
                      translating the page). :-)

                      I've been trying for a while to get two of my cams to work and was
                      finally able to get good results after buying another webcam. I have
                      two cams that are on the list of compatible cameras for the spca5xx
                      driver, but I haven't gotten them to work. On a whim, I bought
                      another cam (Labtec WebCam Pro) and it worked right out of the box.
                      Motion works great with it! Thanks again for your spca5xx driver
                      build. I couldn't have done it myself.

                      > You can get it on my web site :
                      > http://slugplayer.free.fr/pub/spca5xx/
                      > precompiled module for debianslug and source modified for debianslug.
                      >
                      > David
                      > --
                      > http://slugplayer.free.fr

                    • guy_nux
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 3, 2006
                        Hi,

                        > another cam (Labtec WebCam Pro) and it worked right out of the box

                        Thanks for your return of experience. So, I added a working webcams
                        list at:
                        http://slugplayer.free.fr/wikini/wakka.php?wiki=InstallerUneWebcam
                        Let me know, please, if I could add some more information. I think we
                        could do a lot with "motion", do'nt you ?
                        guynux
                      • h8dc
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 3, 2006
                          > Let me know, please, if I could add some more information.

                          Yes, I will.

                          > I think we could do a lot with "motion", do'nt you ?

                          Yes, indeed. I'm having fun with Motion. Right now it watches my PC
                          room and takes pictures only when someone goes in an out of the room.
                          It's crude now, but I can catch my kids snooping around. :-)

                          I'll be working on getting it to send me email and putting pictures on
                          a webpage (that I have yet to build).

                          One problem I am having is that I can't get my camera to work on a USB
                          2.0 hub. I need to use a hub so I can put the camera, a wireless
                          ethernet dongle and other devices on my DebianSlug (if possible). I
                          seem to recall something in the wiki that USB 1.1 hubs works better.
                          I have to investigate that. It'll be a fun project to work on during
                          the winter months. :-)

                          Take care,
                          h8dc
                        • h8dc
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 12, 2006
                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, david <slugplayer@...> wrote:
                            > You can get it on my web site :
                            > http://slugplayer.free.fr/pub/spca5xx/
                            > precompiled module for debianslug and source modified for debianslug.

                            I'm using your precompiled module.

                            I'd like to build it myself. Did you cross-compile it or was it done
                            natively? If natively, where'd you get the kernel source and/or
                            kernel headers?

                            Thanks,
                            h8dc
                          • david
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 12, 2006
                              On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 17:34 +0000, h8dc wrote:
                              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, david <slugplayer@...> wrote:
                              > > You can get it on my web site :
                              > > http://slugplayer.free.fr/pub/spca5xx/
                              > > precompiled module for debianslug and source modified for debianslug.
                              >
                              > I'm using your precompiled module.
                              >
                              > I'd like to build it myself. Did you cross-compile it or was it done
                              > natively? If natively, where'd you get the kernel source and/or
                              > kernel headers?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > h8dc

                              The module is natively compiled.
                              A nice people gave me the kernel source, but I don't remember who....
                              You can get it on my web site :

                              http://slugplayer.free.fr/pub/linux-source/linux-source-nslu2.tar.gz

                              I invite You to use this spca5xx sources :
                              http://slugplayer.free.fr/pub/spca5xx/debianslug-3.10-spca5xx-source.tar.gz
                              I've made some modifications, if not, the compilation will fail.

                              David.

                              --
                              http://slugplayer.free.fr