Fwd: openssh/dropbear catch-22 on openslug

  • John Clonts
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2006
      I have dropbear on my openslug-nslu2, and I wish to install openssh.
      Since dropbear is providing my shell (and I don't know of any other
      provider for telnet), and openssh conflicts with dropbear, how can I
      proceed?

      I believe this is a problem only since March, as I see this in an
      oe-commits archive:
      Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:57:17 +0200 (CEST)
      openssh: Make openssh-sshd and the meta-package openssh RREPLACE and
      RCONFLICT dropbear.

      So:
      1) Is there some option like "ipkg -replace dropbear -with openssh"
      that I'm not finding in the ipkg doc? (I did try -force-overwrite to
      no avail)
      2) Can I just take out the RCONFLICTS from the openssh---.bb, delete a
      .../stamps/do_package, and then bitbake openssh, and install the
      resulting ipkg per
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SwapFromDropbearToOpenSSH> See
      my note there after step 6.
      3) Is there some other package that provides a telnetd, for example (I
      tried xinetd but openslug's has no telnetd though I understand that
      unslung's does)
      4) Am I missing some more obvious solution?

      Sorry if this is off-topic for either of these groups, I'm pretty new to this...

      Thank you,
      John
    • jwd_45244
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2006
        did you read the instructions on that page? It said to change the port
        number that dropbear uses to something other than 22 and reboot. Then
        you connect to dropbear on that new port. Now install openssh and get
        it running. now you have dropbear running on port xyz and openssh on
        22. and ssh into the normal port. Once you are sure you can remove
        dropbear or just turn it off.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "John Clonts" <john@...> wrote:

        > I have dropbear on my openslug-nslu2, and I wish to install openssh.
        > Since dropbear is providing my shell (and I don't know of any other
        > provider for telnet), and openssh conflicts with dropbear, how can I
        > proceed?
        >
        > I believe this is a problem only since March, as I see this in an
        > oe-commits archive:
        > Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:57:17 +0200 (CEST)
        > openssh: Make openssh-sshd and the meta-package openssh RREPLACE and
        > RCONFLICT dropbear.
        >
        > So:
        > 1) Is there some option like "ipkg -replace dropbear -with openssh"
        > that I'm not finding in the ipkg doc? (I did try -force-overwrite to
        > no avail)
        > 2) Can I just take out the RCONFLICTS from the openssh---.bb, delete a
        > .../stamps/do_package, and then bitbake openssh, and install the
        > resulting ipkg per
        > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SwapFromDropbearToOpenSSH> See
        > my note there after step 6.
        > 3) Is there some other package that provides a telnetd, for example (I
        > tried xinetd but openslug's has no telnetd though I understand that
        > unslung's does)
        > 4) Am I missing some more obvious solution?
        >
        > Sorry if this is off-topic for either of these groups, I'm pretty
        new to this...

        > Thank you,
        > John

      • jwd_45244
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2006
          ipkg does not have a set of --force... options?

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "John Clonts" <john@...> wrote:

          > I have dropbear on my openslug-nslu2, and I wish to install openssh.
          > Since dropbear is providing my shell (and I don't know of any other
          > provider for telnet), and openssh conflicts with dropbear, how can I
          > proceed?
          >
          > I believe this is a problem only since March, as I see this in an
          > oe-commits archive:
          > Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:57:17 +0200 (CEST)
          > openssh: Make openssh-sshd and the meta-package openssh RREPLACE and
          > RCONFLICT dropbear.
          >
          > So:
          > 1) Is there some option like "ipkg -replace dropbear -with openssh"
          > that I'm not finding in the ipkg doc? (I did try -force-overwrite to
          > no avail)
          > 2) Can I just take out the RCONFLICTS from the openssh---.bb, delete a
          > .../stamps/do_package, and then bitbake openssh, and install the
          > resulting ipkg per
          > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SwapFromDropbearToOpenSSH> See
          > my note there after step 6.
          > 3) Is there some other package that provides a telnetd, for example (I
          > tried xinetd but openslug's has no telnetd though I understand that
          > unslung's does)
          > 4) Am I missing some more obvious solution?
          >
          > Sorry if this is off-topic for either of these groups, I'm pretty
          new to this...

          > Thank you,
          > John

        • John Clonts
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 9, 2006
            Yes, did you read my comment about those instructions, and within
            those instructions? :)

            At step 6 "ipk install openssh":

            # ipkg install openssh
            Installing openssh (4.0p1-r10) to root...
            Nothing to be done
            An error ocurred, return value: 1.
            Collected errors:
            ERROR: The following packages conflict with openssh:
            dropbear

            Thanks,
            John