Re: Slug dies

  • Roger Shepherd
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
      Nicola,

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Nicola Fankhauser
      <nicola.fankhauser@...> wrote:

      > what is the file system of /share? if it's something other than ext3,
      > reiserfs, xfs (or whatever linux really likes), then consider switching.

      The file system is ext3.

      > is the dying process that causes the kernel oops always the samba
      > process? it could help to shut down samba during backups.

      I'm not at all clear which process is causing the problem. I
      don't get enough information saved in my logs to tell. In this
      most recent case, the only log with any useful into was the
      rsnapshot log which showed first an "rsync" error, followed
      by a "cp" error. Certainly I have seen a samba error in the
      past.

      > Roger Shepherd wrote:
      > > Any suggestions?
      >
      > you could try debianslug. this will be the more LSB conforming than your
      > current setup seems to be (who on earth puts binaries other than
      > black-box software like oracle etc. in /opt/bin? IMO they belong to
      > /usr/local/bin). take this with a grain of salt, since I'm relatively
      > new to the slug world and a big fan of debian since ages. however the
      > ARM-debian tree is so complete, functional and working I cannot really
      > understand people not wanting to work with it...
      >
      > different idea (or combine it with debianslug): you could try using
      > rsync directly and set it up to do about the same as rsnapshot.

      Mmmm. Although I'm quite into the idea of playing around with
      the Slug, I'm not really into the time it takes. I would have
      been happy to stick with the standard firmware if I'd been able
      to do the types of backups I'm doing now (main disk backed up to
      the second disk hourly, creating snapshots). I'm inclinded to
      think that a move to the new version of unslung and a reinstall
      of rsnapshot might solve my problem (- I think it has a newer
      version of samba? -) but I know that will be a weekend's work;
      and it might not work.

      I'll see how things go and if I can capture a half decent log
      which gives more clue as to what has been going on. Oh well,
      off to my basement to get my laptop to recheck the integrity
      of the file system.

      Roger
    • Roger Shepherd
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Shepherd" <rog@...> wrote:

        > > is the dying process that causes the kernel oops always the samba
        > > process? it could help to shut down samba during backups.

        Actually, rechecking the last set of logs, there is one entry in
        log.smbd which might mean something:

        [2006/06/04 00:25:43, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
        read_data: read failure for 4. Error = No route to host
        [2006/06/04 10:36:16, 0] smbd/server.c:main(708)

        This occurred before the penultimate rsnapshot run (which
        appears to have been OK).

        Roger