rsnapshot version 1.2.9

  • i455canon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      Can someone tell me how to install the latest version (ie 1.2.9) of
      rsnapshot on the slug. It seems that the one provided by ipkg suffer
      from a security problem. I tried to build it myself according to the
      direction given for version 1.2.0 but I had only partial luck. That
      is, I was able to run rsnapshot but sadly he didn't hardlink
      subsequent snapshots as expected, instead it made a full copy every time.

      Any help would be more than welcome.

      Regards Jerome
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
        On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 11:28 +0000, i455canon wrote:
        > Can someone tell me how to install the latest version (ie 1.2.9) of
        > rsnapshot on the slug. It seems that the one provided by ipkg suffer
        > from a security problem.

        I updated the package for "rsync" and "rsnapshot".
        The new versions will appear on the download server in a few days.

        --
        Marceln
      • Nicola Fankhauser
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
          i455canon wrote:
          > That is, I was able to run rsnapshot but sadly he didn't hardlink
          > subsequent snapshots as expected, instead it made a full copy every
          > time.

          did you make sure to store the backups on a linux file system like ext3?
          AFAIK fat32 does not support hardlinks. HTH.

          regards
          nicola
        • mlugassy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
            I get the following error when I try to install either rsync or
            rsnapshot..is that because the new version isn't on the download
            server yet? If so, any ETA when it might be on the server? Otherwise,
            if that's not the issue, why am I getting this error message?:

            # ipkg install rsync
            Installing rsync (2.6.7-2) to root...
            Downloading
            http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/rsync_2.6.7-2_armeb.ipk
            wget: server returned error 404: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
            Nothing to be done
            An error ocurred, return value: 22.
            Collected errors:
            ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget
            --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-ectfti
            http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/rsync_2.6.7-2_armeb.ipk'
            Failed to download rsync. Perhaps you need to run 'ipkg update'?

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 11:28 +0000, i455canon wrote:
            > > Can someone tell me how to install the latest version (ie 1.2.9) of
            > > rsnapshot on the slug. It seems that the one provided by ipkg suffer
            > > from a security problem.
            >
            > I updated the package for "rsync" and "rsnapshot".
            > The new versions will appear on the download server in a few days.
            >
            > --
            > Marceln

          • Mike (mwester)
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
              Have you run "ipkg update" as the message suggests?

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
                Yes..of course I tried the ipkg update command... still gives the same
                error message when I try to install afterwards..

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
                  I think the problem is that there is no rsync_2.6.7-2 in the
                  /unslung/cross dir...
                  how do we get it back there?