Re: What has to be changed on a fattened slug

  • sdm485
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:

      > > The existing bootloader (Redboot) can be used with memory sizes up to
      > > 64M according to information in the Wiki. If this is true, it is very
      > > good since it means that you can use the upgrade facility built in to
      > > Redboot to load up a suitable flash image. It also means that you do
      > > not have to replace the bootloader which is risky business.
      >
      > Tested on a 128MB slug. Not sure if it will work on a 64MB slug. You
      need to modify the kernel to make it work.

      That is great and will allow a 'fatslug' build if one wanted.

      > > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
      > > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
      > > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
      > > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
      > > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
      > > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
      > > line I wanted built in.
      >
      > It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
      directory. This is a hidden file.

      I knew it would be something simple (doh!)

      > > I am getting dma_free_coherent(whatever that means...) Badness errors
      > > on the disk drive. I suspect it is something to do with the dma
      > > controller and the amount of memory. I plan to compile for 64M to see
      > > if it goes away.
      >
      > This is a known issue on ARM using kernel versions >= 2.6.15.

      I rechecked my memory (it is OK) and was wondering if it was an arm
      kernel issue. I also checked the datasheet and the PCI DMA controller
      has full access to all memory. It does keep the Openslug 3.7 beta from
      working at 128M at the moment but I am glad to know that the effort to
      solder on the second set of chips was worth it. :)

      > Kinsa

      Thanks for the info,

      sdm
    • nww
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:

        > > The existing bootloader (Redboot) can be used with memory sizes up to
        > > 64M according to information in the Wiki. If this is true, it is very
        > > good since it means that you can use the upgrade facility built in to
        > > Redboot to load up a suitable flash image. It also means that you do
        > > not have to replace the bootloader which is risky business.
        >
        > Tested on a 128MB slug. Not sure if it will work on a 64MB slug. You
        need to modify the kernel to make it work.

        > > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
        > > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
        > > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
        > > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
        > > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
        > > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
        > > line I wanted built in.
        >
        > It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
        directory. This is a hidden file.

        Are you sure??? After untar the tarball, I went through some of the
        directories. But, can find the file you said.

        > > I am getting dma_free_coherent(whatever that means...) Badness errors
        > > on the disk drive. I suspect it is something to do with the dma
        > > controller and the amount of memory. I plan to compile for 64M to see
        > > if it goes away.
        >
        > This is a known issue on ARM using kernel versions >= 2.6.15.
        >
        > Kinsa

      • nww
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 9, 2006
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:

          > > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
          > > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
          > > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
          > > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
          > > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
          > > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
          > > line I wanted built in.
          >
          > It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
          directory. This is a hidden file.

          I cannot find the file. Could you please tell us where exactly the
          file is?
        • kinsa
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2006
            nww wrote:
            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:
            >>> The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
            >>> defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
            >>> the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
            >>> line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
            >>> configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
            >>> However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
            >>> line I wanted built in.
            >> It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
            > directory. This is a hidden file.
            > I cannot find the file. Could you please tell us where exactly the
            > file is?

            That File is normally created when you issue a "make config" if you start from a clean build.

            But since the kernel file you want is specifically created for slug, compile a working kernel first. After you have tested it, then you can edit the .config file to reflect the
            changes you have made.

            kinsa