Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: syslogd klogd unSlung 5.5

  • CN
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 19:59:41 +0000 (UTC), Adam Baker wrote:

      > CN <t4chacko@...> writes:
      >
      > > I see a /var/log and a /var.state/log. The contents are not exactly the
      same,
      > > but most from var.state/log seems to be copied to /var/log on reboot.
      However,
      > > /var/log/server.log has the old size, even if I copy it to another file, and
      > > then remove the file and reboot. /var.state/log/server.log remains at 0
      size.

      > > What is the sequence here? Where does this old /var/log/server.log come
      back
      > > from?
      >

      > IIRC /var.state on Unslung 5.5 refers to the flash memory. This is all done a
      > bit differently in unslung 6 so I can't check.

      That is unfortunate :( I have to stick with 5.5 for some time, since I have just
      succeeded in porting all my stuff to run on this as a small private web server...
      many months of parttime effort. I will buy another slug in a few months and
      then see if I can go to 6.0. Right now I have almost no compelling reason to
      switch :)

      I did not see any answer to one of my original questions: How do I stop the
      syslogd, either suspend it, or kill it? Killing is ok for me, since I will be rebooting
      the slug, after my next step of backup.

      Currently if I try to kill it, it gets reborn with a new pid :( So some other
      watchdog that is monitoring it ??? Or a special signal may be needed to kill it?

      Cordially, Chacko