Re: syslogd klogd unSlung 5.5

  • Adam Baker
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
      CN <t4chacko@...> writes:

      > I see a /var/log and a /var.state/log. The contents are not exactly the same,
      > but most from var.state/log seems to be copied to /var/log on reboot. However,
      > /var/log/server.log has the old size, even if I copy it to another file, and
      > then remove the file and reboot. /var.state/log/server.log remains at 0 size.
      >
      > What is the sequence here? Where does this old /var/log/server.log come back
      > from?

      IIRC /var.state on Unslung 5.5 refers to the flash memory. This is all done a
      bit differently in unslung 6 so I can't check.
    • CN
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
        On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 19:59:41 +0000 (UTC), Adam Baker wrote:

        > CN <t4chacko@...> writes:
        >
        > > I see a /var/log and a /var.state/log. The contents are not exactly the
        same,
        > > but most from var.state/log seems to be copied to /var/log on reboot.
        However,
        > > /var/log/server.log has the old size, even if I copy it to another file, and
        > > then remove the file and reboot. /var.state/log/server.log remains at 0
        size.

        > > What is the sequence here? Where does this old /var/log/server.log come
        back
        > > from?
        >

        > IIRC /var.state on Unslung 5.5 refers to the flash memory. This is all done a
        > bit differently in unslung 6 so I can't check.

        That is unfortunate :( I have to stick with 5.5 for some time, since I have just
        succeeded in porting all my stuff to run on this as a small private web server...
        many months of parttime effort. I will buy another slug in a few months and
        then see if I can go to 6.0. Right now I have almost no compelling reason to
        switch :)

        I did not see any answer to one of my original questions: How do I stop the
        syslogd, either suspend it, or kill it? Killing is ok for me, since I will be rebooting
        the slug, after my next step of backup.

        Currently if I try to kill it, it gets reborn with a new pid :( So some other
        watchdog that is monitoring it ??? Or a special signal may be needed to kill it?

        Cordially, Chacko