Re: What has to be changed on a fattened slug

  • kinsa
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
      > The existing bootloader (Redboot) can be used with memory sizes up to
      > 64M according to information in the Wiki. If this is true, it is very
      > good since it means that you can use the upgrade facility built in to
      > Redboot to load up a suitable flash image. It also means that you do
      > not have to replace the bootloader which is risky business.

      Tested on a 128MB slug. Not sure if it will work on a 64MB slug. You need to modify the kernel to make it work.

      > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
      > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
      > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
      > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
      > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
      > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
      > line I wanted built in.

      It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build directory. This is a hidden file.

      > I am getting dma_free_coherent(whatever that means...) Badness errors
      > on the disk drive. I suspect it is something to do with the dma
      > controller and the amount of memory. I plan to compile for 64M to see
      > if it goes away.

      This is a known issue on ARM using kernel versions >= 2.6.15.

      Kinsa
    • sdm485
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:

        > > The existing bootloader (Redboot) can be used with memory sizes up to
        > > 64M according to information in the Wiki. If this is true, it is very
        > > good since it means that you can use the upgrade facility built in to
        > > Redboot to load up a suitable flash image. It also means that you do
        > > not have to replace the bootloader which is risky business.
        >
        > Tested on a 128MB slug. Not sure if it will work on a 64MB slug. You
        need to modify the kernel to make it work.

        That is great and will allow a 'fatslug' build if one wanted.

        > > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
        > > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
        > > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
        > > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
        > > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
        > > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
        > > line I wanted built in.
        >
        > It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
        directory. This is a hidden file.

        I knew it would be something simple (doh!)

        > > I am getting dma_free_coherent(whatever that means...) Badness errors
        > > on the disk drive. I suspect it is something to do with the dma
        > > controller and the amount of memory. I plan to compile for 64M to see
        > > if it goes away.
        >
        > This is a known issue on ARM using kernel versions >= 2.6.15.

        I rechecked my memory (it is OK) and was wondering if it was an arm
        kernel issue. I also checked the datasheet and the PCI DMA controller
        has full access to all memory. It does keep the Openslug 3.7 beta from
        working at 128M at the moment but I am glad to know that the effort to
        solder on the second set of chips was worth it. :)

        > Kinsa

        Thanks for the info,

        sdm
      • nww
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2006
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:

          > > The existing bootloader (Redboot) can be used with memory sizes up to
          > > 64M according to information in the Wiki. If this is true, it is very
          > > good since it means that you can use the upgrade facility built in to
          > > Redboot to load up a suitable flash image. It also means that you do
          > > not have to replace the bootloader which is risky business.
          >
          > Tested on a 128MB slug. Not sure if it will work on a 64MB slug. You
          need to modify the kernel to make it work.

          > > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
          > > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
          > > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
          > > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
          > > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
          > > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
          > > line I wanted built in.
          >
          > It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
          directory. This is a hidden file.

          Are you sure??? After untar the tarball, I went through some of the
          directories. But, can find the file you said.

          > > I am getting dma_free_coherent(whatever that means...) Badness errors
          > > on the disk drive. I suspect it is something to do with the dma
          > > controller and the amount of memory. I plan to compile for 64M to see
          > > if it goes away.
          >
          > This is a known issue on ARM using kernel versions >= 2.6.15.
          >
          > Kinsa

        • nww
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 9, 2006
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:

            > > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
            > > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
            > > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
            > > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
            > > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
            > > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
            > > line I wanted built in.
            >
            > It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
            directory. This is a hidden file.

            I cannot find the file. Could you please tell us where exactly the
            file is?
          • kinsa
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 11, 2006
              nww wrote:
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:
              >>> The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
              >>> defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
              >>> the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
              >>> line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
              >>> configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
              >>> However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
              >>> line I wanted built in.
              >> It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
              > directory. This is a hidden file.
              > I cannot find the file. Could you please tell us where exactly the
              > file is?

              That File is normally created when you issue a "make config" if you start from a clean build.

              But since the kernel file you want is specifically created for slug, compile a working kernel first. After you have tested it, then you can edit the .config file to reflect the
              changes you have made.

              kinsa