Re: [nslu2-linux] Siemens S55 Data cable also compatible?

  • Patrick Schneider
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30 12:10 PM

      plug the cable into a usb-port of your nslu2 and watch the syslog. If it
      recognises the cable as pl2303 usb-to-serial converter (or something
      like that), you should be able to use it.

      Regards,
      Patrick

      archerxtcde schrieb:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I read that the Siemens x25 - x45 data cables are a cheap alternative
      > to connect to the nslu2 via serial connection. Looking at my treasure
      > cheast of used hardware, I found a serial connection cable for the
      > later siemens series beginning at x55, and now I wonder if I could use
      > that cable to (or how I can find how, if).
      >
      > Regards, Markus

    • archerxtcde
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30 12:17 PM
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Schneider
        <patrick.schneider1980@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > plug the cable into a usb-port of your nslu2 and watch the syslog.

        Well, I mean the other way round, like described in
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort - as far as I
        read, it should work, cause the interesting part is the
        voltage-conversion of such cables, am I right?
      • Patrick Schneider
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30 12:43 PM

          i know. Most of the usb-to-cellphone cables are equipped with a pl2303
          usb-to-serial chip.
          If such a chip is used in your cable, it will be recognised. Next steps
          would be:
          - open(cut it) the cable
          - check if it has 3,3V
          - locate RX, TX and GND ( in case of the pl2303, you could take a look
          at the datasheet at http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=23)

          Note: RX on the pl2303 should be connected to TX on the Slug and vice versa.

          Regards,
          Patrick

          archerxtcde schrieb:
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Schneider
          > <patrick.schneider1980@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> plug the cable into a usb-port of your nslu2 and watch the syslog.
          >
          > Well, I mean the other way round, like described in
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort - as far as I
          > read, it should work, cause the interesting part is the
          > voltage-conversion of such cables, am I right?

        • huy_messenger
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31 9:03 AM
            Hallo,

            i can confirm that my cheap Siemens S55 Data Cable works
            perfectly. I bought it some time ago off from ebay for about 3 Euro.

            The data cable for SonyEricsson K700i also works, no problems so far.
            But note that the cables for SE k750i are NOT compatible!

            BTW Most of the cheap data cables are not based on the
            prolific chip at least those i bought from ebay germany.
            Those cables use chips from Silicon Laboratories (cp2101).

            Regards, huy

            Message 5 of 6 , May 31 9:43 AM

              > i can confirm that my cheap Siemens S55 Data Cable works
              > perfectly. I bought it some time ago off from ebay for about 3 Euro.
              >
              > The data cable for SonyEricsson K700i also works, no problems so far.
              > But note that the cables for SE k750i are NOT compatible!
              >
              > BTW Most of the cheap data cables are not based on the
              > prolific chip at least those i bought from ebay germany.
              > Those cables use chips from Silicon Laboratories (cp2101).

              Hmmm... I bought 3 different data cables (from 3 different ebay(.de)
              vendors) for 3 different kind of cell phones (some old Nokia, Siemens
              S/E/C 25-45, Samsung SGH-P510) and they're all using pl2303 chips - so I
              thought there was some pl2303 majority. But as I can see now, this
              assumption was wrong ;)

              Regards,

              Patrick