Re: [nslu2-linux] nslu2 and 1wire

  • Vittore Zen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2006
      In data 29/05/2006 13.48 Michael Homscheidt ha scritto:
      Hell Vittore,

      I read the following mail which you posted into the NSLU mailing list with high
      interest. What I would like to do is to use my NSLU with some temperature
      sensors (up to six). Additionally I had a look at the Maxim website but I have
      some understanding problems:

      My biggest question is what devices do I need?

      - I think I need a temperature sensor (but which one? What are the differences between the available sensors?)
      I use 6 temp's DS18S20, two LCD display and a passive hub.
      Difference are sensibility, response time, alert, trigger,....

      - I need a AD converter (I think the DS2450 will do the job for up to 4 sensors)

      I use a usb dongle from hobby-boards (DS9490R-A)
      see http://tinyurl.com/p79ev
      - but how to connect the AD converter (serial output) to the USB bus of the
      NSLU? Does any USB to Serial converter do the job? Or is there anything
      available from Maxim?
      No, use a usb converter. From Maxim there is some plan for self made man :-)

      - Does there some more information exist about the OWFS?

      Best regards
      Michael.

      Life is now! :-)

            Synopsis:

      *owfs* is a method under linux to allow 1-wire
      <http://www.maxim-ic.com/1-Wire.cfm> devices to appear like files in a
      directory. You can then enter a command like "cat */temperature" to have
      all the temperatures sensors measure and print their data. For instance,
      the collection of temperature sensors above are all on one bus,
      individually addressable, and will reconfigure on the fly as items are
      added or removed. Each device is it's own directory with it's own
      properties.

      These is a memo for a freshed installed NSLU2:

      /sbin/unsling disk2
      reboot

      ipkg update
      ipkg install unslung-feeds