Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Fattened with hynix HY57V56820BT-H. Does it fit?

  • Peter Serbe
    Message 1 of 13 , May 29, 2006
      Hi there fellow NSLU2ers,

      it is a job of mine, too. The H/W part is easy for me, since I
      am a H/W engineer having access to a well equiped lab.

      Nicola Fankhauser wrote:
      > it seems a kernel recompilation would be enough. could anyone
      > explain how to only do that? I'm running DebianSlug, so this
      > is the kernel I'd like to compile.

      No, sorry. These embedded systems have a bootloader, which is
      far less sophisticated than a modern PC bios. You need to tell
      the _boot_loader_ what the correct organization of RAM (and
      EEPROM) is. So You need to modify the bootloader, which is much
      more critical than modifying the kernel. If you mess up the
      bootloader, You need either reflash the EEPROM via JTAG, or You
      need to remove the EEPROM to burn it directly. (I'll do that,
      and I'll solder a socket for the EEPROM into my slug)

      Best regards
      Peter