uploading apex.bin

  • nww
    Message 1 of 10 , May 29, 2006
      Hi all,

      From the wiki
      http://wiki.buici.com/wiki/Apex_Bootloader#IXP42x_and_the_Linksys_NSLU2_.28aka_SLUG.29,
      it said that a serial cable is needed to upload apex.bin to the slug.
      However, I wonder if it is necessary as long as we can use one of the
      ways described in
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot to access get
      a Redboot prompt.
    • sdm485
      Message 2 of 10 , May 29, 2006
        While it is true that you can use RedBoot telnet to get apex.bin into
        RAM, as soon as you execute apex.bin, you will lose that access and so
        will not be able to use apex to write the image to flash. It would
        allow you to check out apex though. You would have to make sure apex
        is configured to boot automatically or it will just sit there waiting
        for input from the serial port.

        If you want to use apex to write itself into flash (the safest way by
        far), you must have a serial terminal to execute the commands.

        Using Redboot to blind write apex to flash is sooooo risky.

        sdm485

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "nww" <csnww97@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > From the wiki

        http://wiki.buici.com/wiki/Apex_Bootloader#IXP42x_and_the_Linksys_NSLU2_.28aka_SLUG.29,
        > it said that a serial cable is needed to upload apex.bin to the slug.
        > However, I wonder if it is necessary as long as we can use one of the
        > ways described in
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot to access get
        > a Redboot prompt.

      • nww
        Message 3 of 10 , May 29, 2006
          Thanks for your advice. I am now planning to add a serial port
          following the instruction described in
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort.
          Still a long way to gooooooooo!

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sdm485" <steve@...> wrote:

          > While it is true that you can use RedBoot telnet to get apex.bin into
          > RAM, as soon as you execute apex.bin, you will lose that access and so
          > will not be able to use apex to write the image to flash. It would
          > allow you to check out apex though. You would have to make sure apex
          > is configured to boot automatically or it will just sit there waiting
          > for input from the serial port.
          >
          > If you want to use apex to write itself into flash (the safest way by
          > far), you must have a serial terminal to execute the commands.
          >
          > Using Redboot to blind write apex to flash is sooooo risky.
          >
          > sdm485

        • fallen2109
          Message 4 of 10 , May 31, 2006
            Guys,

            Can somebody clearly explain what must be recompiled on a fattened
            slug:

            - Bootloader
            - Kernel
            - Both of the above

            Is there a good manual how to perform all these steps? I am a
            software developer, but I have never worked on Linux and I do
            not have a Linux box.

            Is there a way to learn all these?

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sdm485" <steve@...> wrote:

            > While it is true that you can use RedBoot telnet to get apex.bin
            into
            > RAM, as soon as you execute apex.bin, you will lose that access and
            so
            > will not be able to use apex to write the image to flash. It would
            > allow you to check out apex though. You would have to make sure apex
            > is configured to boot automatically or it will just sit there
            waiting
            > for input from the serial port.
            >
            > If you want to use apex to write itself into flash (the safest way
            by
            > far), you must have a serial terminal to execute the commands.
            >
            > Using Redboot to blind write apex to flash is sooooo risky.
            >
            > sdm485
            >

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "nww" <csnww97@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > From the wiki

            http://wiki.buici.com/wiki/Apex_Bootloader#IXP42x_and_the_Linksys_NSLU
            2_.28aka_SLUG.29,
            > > it said that a serial cable is needed to upload apex.bin to the
            slug.
            > > However, I wonder if it is necessary as long as we can use one of
            the
            > > ways described in
            > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot to access
            get
            > > a Redboot prompt.

          • sdm485
            Message 5 of 10 , May 31, 2006
              Hi:
              I am working on just this sort of thing.

              Basically, you need a bootloader that properly configures the hardware
              for the memory size. Then you have to pass the memory size to the
              kernel on boot.

              The existing bootloader (Redboot) can be used with memory sizes up to
              64M according to information in the Wiki. If this is true, it is very
              good since it means that you can use the upgrade facility built in to
              Redboot to load up a suitable flash image. It also means that you do
              not have to replace the bootloader which is risky business.

              The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
              defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
              the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
              line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
              configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
              However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
              line I wanted built in.

              At this point, I have successfully compiled openslug 3.7 beta for
              128M of memory. I am using the APEX bootloader configured for 2 banks
              of 64M. I have used APEX to download and write the image to flash. I
              can power up the slug and have it boot all the way to a prompt. I have
              partitioned a blank drive and formatted a 1G partition so far.

              I am getting dma_free_coherent(whatever that means...) Badness errors
              on the disk drive. I suspect it is something to do with the dma
              controller and the amount of memory. I plan to compile for 64M to see
              if it goes away.

              As I figure things out, I am updating the Wiki.

              regards,
              sdm

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "fallen2109" <mg.vassilev@...> wrote:

              > Guys,
              >
              > Can somebody clearly explain what must be recompiled on a fattened
              > slug:
              >
              > - Bootloader
              > - Kernel
              > - Both of the above
              >
              > Is there a good manual how to perform all these steps? I am a
              > software developer, but I have never worked on Linux and I do
              > not have a Linux box.
              >

              > Is there a way to learn all these?
              >

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "sdm485" <steve@> wrote:
              > >
              > > While it is true that you can use RedBoot telnet to get apex.bin
              > into
              > > RAM, as soon as you execute apex.bin, you will lose that access and
              > so
              > > will not be able to use apex to write the image to flash. It would
              > > allow you to check out apex though. You would have to make sure apex
              > > is configured to boot automatically or it will just sit there
              > waiting
              > > for input from the serial port.
              > >
              > > If you want to use apex to write itself into flash (the safest way
              > by
              > > far), you must have a serial terminal to execute the commands.
              > >
              > > Using Redboot to blind write apex to flash is sooooo risky.
              > >
              > > sdm485
              > >

              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "nww" <csnww97@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi all,
              > > >
              > > > From the wiki
              > > >

              > http://wiki.buici.com/wiki/Apex_Bootloader#IXP42x_and_the_Linksys_NSLU
              > 2_.28aka_SLUG.29,
              > > > it said that a serial cable is needed to upload apex.bin to the
              > slug.
              > > > However, I wonder if it is necessary as long as we can use one of
              > the
              > > > ways described in
              > > > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot to access
              > get
              > > > a Redboot prompt.

            • kinsa
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                > The existing bootloader (Redboot) can be used with memory sizes up to
                > 64M according to information in the Wiki. If this is true, it is very
                > good since it means that you can use the upgrade facility built in to
                > Redboot to load up a suitable flash image. It also means that you do
                > not have to replace the bootloader which is risky business.

                Tested on a 128MB slug. Not sure if it will work on a 64MB slug. You need to modify the kernel to make it work.

                > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
                > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
                > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
                > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
                > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
                > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
                > line I wanted built in.

                It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build directory. This is a hidden file.

                > I am getting dma_free_coherent(whatever that means...) Badness errors
                > on the disk drive. I suspect it is something to do with the dma
                > controller and the amount of memory. I plan to compile for 64M to see
                > if it goes away.

                This is a known issue on ARM using kernel versions >= 2.6.15.

                Kinsa
              • sdm485
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:

                  > > The existing bootloader (Redboot) can be used with memory sizes up to
                  > > 64M according to information in the Wiki. If this is true, it is very
                  > > good since it means that you can use the upgrade facility built in to
                  > > Redboot to load up a suitable flash image. It also means that you do
                  > > not have to replace the bootloader which is risky business.
                  >
                  > Tested on a 128MB slug. Not sure if it will work on a 64MB slug. You
                  need to modify the kernel to make it work.

                  That is great and will allow a 'fatslug' build if one wanted.

                  > > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
                  > > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
                  > > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
                  > > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
                  > > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
                  > > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
                  > > line I wanted built in.
                  >
                  > It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
                  directory. This is a hidden file.

                  I knew it would be something simple (doh!)

                  > > I am getting dma_free_coherent(whatever that means...) Badness errors
                  > > on the disk drive. I suspect it is something to do with the dma
                  > > controller and the amount of memory. I plan to compile for 64M to see
                  > > if it goes away.
                  >
                  > This is a known issue on ARM using kernel versions >= 2.6.15.

                  I rechecked my memory (it is OK) and was wondering if it was an arm
                  kernel issue. I also checked the datasheet and the PCI DMA controller
                  has full access to all memory. It does keep the Openslug 3.7 beta from
                  working at 128M at the moment but I am glad to know that the effort to
                  solder on the second set of chips was worth it. :)

                  > Kinsa

                  Thanks for the info,

                  sdm
                • nww
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 6, 2006
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:

                    > > The existing bootloader (Redboot) can be used with memory sizes up to
                    > > 64M according to information in the Wiki. If this is true, it is very
                    > > good since it means that you can use the upgrade facility built in to
                    > > Redboot to load up a suitable flash image. It also means that you do
                    > > not have to replace the bootloader which is risky business.
                    >
                    > Tested on a 128MB slug. Not sure if it will work on a 64MB slug. You
                    need to modify the kernel to make it work.

                    > > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
                    > > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
                    > > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
                    > > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
                    > > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
                    > > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
                    > > line I wanted built in.
                    >
                    > It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
                    directory. This is a hidden file.

                    Are you sure??? After untar the tarball, I went through some of the
                    directories. But, can find the file you said.

                    > > I am getting dma_free_coherent(whatever that means...) Badness errors
                    > > on the disk drive. I suspect it is something to do with the dma
                    > > controller and the amount of memory. I plan to compile for 64M to see
                    > > if it goes away.
                    >
                    > This is a known issue on ARM using kernel versions >= 2.6.15.
                    >
                    > Kinsa

                  • nww
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 9, 2006
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:

                      > > The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
                      > > defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
                      > > the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
                      > > line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
                      > > configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
                      > > However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
                      > > line I wanted built in.
                      >
                      > It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
                      directory. This is a hidden file.

                      I cannot find the file. Could you please tell us where exactly the
                      file is?
                    • kinsa
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 11, 2006
                        nww wrote:
                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, kinsa <kinsa_manka@...> wrote:
                        >>> The kernels presently being built by the openembedded system are
                        >>> defaulting to a memory size of 32M. There is a mechanism built into
                        >>> the kernel source (checkout nslu2_setup.c) that builds the command
                        >>> line. The comments say you can override the 32M size by changing a
                        >>> configuration line. I cannot find out where but I am still looking.
                        >>> However, I was able to fiddle with the build enough to get the command
                        >>> line I wanted built in.
                        >> It is stored at .config file located at the root of the build
                        > directory. This is a hidden file.
                        > I cannot find the file. Could you please tell us where exactly the
                        > file is?

                        That File is normally created when you issue a "make config" if you start from a clean build.

                        But since the kernel file you want is specifically created for slug, compile a working kernel first. After you have tested it, then you can edit the .config file to reflect the
                        changes you have made.

                        kinsa