HD runs continuously (probably a newbie question)

  • zvsmedia
    Message 1 of 12 , May 19, 2006
      This is likely a newbie question, but if there was anything in the FAQ
      I missed it...

      There is some process on the slug that is running the HD continuously
      (perhaps checking the disk)? If I reboot the process just starts up
      again. This has been going on constantly for a couple of days.

      The slug seems to work normally otherwise. I can use the web
      interface, SSH, Samba shares, etc., but everything is incredibly SLOW
      of course.

      Could someone help me identify which process is running (I'm guessing
      once I know I'll want to 'killall' it) and prevent it from happening
      again?

      Or should I just let it run its course?

      One last piece of data: this was probably a mistake, but I used the
      web interface to set a weekly scandisk. I'm wondering if this is what
      is happening. (I used the web interface again to set the option to
      never, but who knows if that will take<g>).

      Thanks!
    • David Given
      Message 2 of 12 , May 19, 2006
        zvsmedia wrote:
        [...]
        > There is some process on the slug that is running the HD continuously
        > (perhaps checking the disk)? If I reboot the process just starts up
        > again. This has been going on constantly for a couple of days.

        There are three reasons why my NSLU2 touches the disk:

        Firstly, it doesn't have a lot of memory --- if it's not idling it could well
        be swapping;

        Secondly, every time it even looks at a file --- even if it's in a disk buffer
        and it doesn't even need to reload the data --- it will update the file's
        last-accessed time. (I need to get round to telling it not to do this.) This
        will get periodically flushed to the disk;

        Thirdly, logs could be being written, which will also need to be flushed to disk.

        You're using Unslung, right? I'm afraid I don't know how that's set up, so
        any, all or none of the above may apply to you. Plus, you should be aware that
        a lot of cheapo USB2 hard drives don't actually auto-power-down. I know that
        Maxtor One-Touch drives do, while the Iomega 250GB job I currently have
        connected to be NSLU2 doesn't. There are some hacks for getting round this,
        but AFAIR they don't work very well...

        --
        +- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
        | dg@... | scintillating, many fauceted scarlet emerald..."
        | (dg@...) | --- Jim Theis, _The Eye of Argon_ (spelling
        +- www.cowlark.com --+ original)
      • CN
        Message 3 of 12 , May 19, 2006
          Unslung 5.5.

          Is it possible to do a beep from the command line? I would like to use that with
          shell scripts. Thanks.

          Cordially, Chacko
        • tonymy01
          Message 4 of 12 , May 19, 2006
            Message
            Look at all the Set_Led options:

            bash-2.05b# pwd
            /usr/bin
            bash-2.05b# ./Set_Led
            Set_Led ready
            Set_Led r_blinking
            Set_Led s_blinking
            Set_Led rs_blinking
            Set_Led s_error
            Set_Led s_ok
            Set_Led beep1
            Set_Led beep2
            Set_Led beep3
            Set_Led turn_on1
            Set_Led turn_on2
            Set_Led turn_off1
            Set_Led turn_off2
            Set_Led power_off

            Regards
            Tonymy01
            --
            http://tonyspage.abock.de for nearly any Topfield info...

            Message 5 of 12 , May 19, 2006
              Thanks, Tonymy01!

              Cordially, Chacko

              --Original Message Text---
              From: tonymy01
              Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 12:43:20 +1000

              Message Look at all the Set_Led options:

            • methcat
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 16, 2007
                sorry about reviving an old thread, but...

                i'm trying for a similar thing, not going for full spindown, but my hitachi
                usb drive supports several low power modes and an idle mode but they just
                won't ever kick in cause this thing is continually accessed.... i read in
                another thread here (that i can't seem to find) where someone suggested
                telling the nslu2 that the drive was a flash drive, and that that would stop
                most of the accessing...

                would anyone know anything about this? or any other way to stop or limit the
                contstant accessing?
              • Brian Wood
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 17, 2007
                  methcat wrote:

                  > sorry about reviving an old thread, but...
                  >
                  > i'm trying for a similar thing, not going for full spindown, but my hitachi
                  > usb drive supports several low power modes and an idle mode but they just
                  > won't ever kick in cause this thing is continually accessed.... i read in
                  > another thread here (that i can't seem to find) where someone suggested
                  > telling the nslu2 that the drive was a flash drive, and that that would stop
                  > most of the accessing...
                  >
                  > would anyone know anything about this? or any other way to stop or limit the
                  > contstant accessing?

                  Have a look at:

                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks

                  Access can be reduced by mounting with the noatime parameter, and not
                  having swap on the device.

                  Note that having no swap can lead to problems if you want to do anything
                  serious, and not updating access times can cause problems with certain
                  applications that depend on such information. It all depends on what you
                  want to do.

                  beww
                • methcat
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 17, 2007
                    thanks, dvd's are the only thing on the drives and once they're there,
                    there's no more editing...
                  • bren reid
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 18, 2007
                      methcat <cs_junkmail@...> writes:

                      > thanks, dvd's are the only thing on the drives and once they're there,
                      > there's no more editing...

                      methcat

                      see end of Slug success stories on the support wiki.....

                      user "Peter" posted this snippet recently....

                      (((((((((((((((
                      After tweaking all the log files, various things prevented the HDD from spinning
                      down, I have tracked these down and:

                      * Removed the exim mail server (I don't need it at the moment)
                      * Removed the cron.hourly job - not used
                      * Stopped syslog putting the - MARK - entries in every 20 minutes
                      * Created a (very small) ramfs mount point for the samba browse.dat file

                      Having done all that, my seagate 320GB external HDD spins down after about 10
                      minutes of no use.

                      ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

                      hope that helps
                      bren
                    • Dave Hooper
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 22, 2007
                        > > thanks, dvd's are the only thing on the drives and once they're
                        there,
                        > > there's no more editing...
                        >

                        > methcat
                        >
                        > see end of Slug success stories on the support wiki.....
                        >
                        > user "Peter" posted this snippet recently....

                        Can I just check (it was asked previously but I didn't see a response)-
                        is this under Unslung, or one of the OpenSlug builds, or something else?

                        Fwiw, I've been trying this with no success on OpenSlug/BE. scsi-idle,
                        for example, fails with the error

                        program scsi-idle is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it
                        to SG_IO

                        Also, the Success Stories page on the nslu2 wiki is blank? Maybe I'm
                        missing something.
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/SuccessStories
                      • Dave Hooper
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 22, 2007
                          > Fwiw, I've been trying this with no success on OpenSlug/BE. scsi-
                          idle,
                          > for example, fails with the error
                          >
                          > program scsi-idle is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it
                          > to SG_IO

                          Never mind - I've just built sg3_utils from source. I can confirm that
                          sg_start does actually work on OpenSlug/Be! Unfortunately it doesn't
                          seem to be available as an openslug package (afaict) but was trivial to
                          build from source in a native environment.

                          example:

                          sg_start -pc=2 /dev/sda

                          will spin down the device
                        • Brendan Reid