Re: is it easy to add /dev/hda4?

  • casper_theghostwriter
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2004
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "stopcastingporosity"
      <stopcastingporosity@y...>
      wrote:

      > One thing I wanted to be able to do was to have a fat32 partition
      > mounted under my music directory so that I could have access to my
      > music both via mt-daapd and also when the hard drive is plugged
      > directly into my (or any) windows computer. Needless to say, I'd be
      > able to add music to the hard drive too.
      >
      > So, I figured how to add a fat32 partition in a complicated and
      ugly
      > manner, but the NSLU2 doesn't seem to have a /dev/hda4 or /dev/hdb4
      > so
      > I can't just add a new mount point in fstab.

      Try "mknod /dev/sda4 b 8 4" to create an entry in the device table.
      This will create a block device driver of Major ID 8 and minor ID 4.
      The other three partitions, /dev/sda1, sda2, sda3, are minor
      devices 1, 2 & 3 respectively so you'll want the 4th partition to have
      minor number 4.
      Do an "ls -l /dev/sda* to make sure that the major/minor numbers
      match what I wrote for your system.

      Now that you've got an entry in the /dev directory, it's time to see
      if you can use it. I went to /proc and did a "cat /proc/filesystems"
      to see what was supported. Apparently they only support EXT2, EXT3
      and VFAT. VFAT can handle FAT32 filesystems.

      You'll also need a mount point -- i.e. an empty directory to serve
      as the "top" of the drive. You can either use one of the three
      sub-directories in the /mnt directory, or create your own in the
      /share directory. I'd prefer the latter since it's consistent with the
      other disk mounting points. So "mkdir /share/iTunes"

      Finally, you have to mount your partition. Do this via:
      "mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /share/iTunes"

      Just for kicks, I thought I'd try out a USB flash drive I had sitting
      around. I plugged it in, and it mounted/unmounted it via
      "mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/tmpmnt" and everything works
      fine.

      Good luck.

      Chris Pikus