Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Found the Intel developement board schematic and docs

  • Mark Rakes
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 11, 2004
      this is taken out of the RedBoot code, and is more or less correct:

      Physical Address Size (MB) Description
      ---------------- --------- -----------
      0x00000000 256 SDRAM (cached) ****
      0x10000000 256 SDRAM (alias)
      0x20000000 256 SDRAM (uncached)
      0x48000000 64 PCI Data
      0x50000000 16 Flash (CS0)
      0x51000000 112 CS1 - CS7
      0x60000000 64 Queue Manager
      0xC0000000 1 PCI Controller
      0xC4000000 1 Exp. Bus Config
      0xC8000000 1 Misc IXP425 IO
      0xCC000000 1 SDRAM Config

      ***The lowest 256MB of address space is configurable based on the value
      of a configuration register located in the Expansion Bus Controller:
      -When the configuration register is set to logic 1, the Expansion Bus
      occupies the lowest 256 MB of address space.
      -When the configuration register is set to logic 0 the SDRAM occupies
      the lowest 256 MB of address.

      see page 205 of the intel developer's manual for the MUCH more detailed
      version. :)

      and, of course, the NSLU2 only has 32MB of RAM. :)

      hth,
      -mark

      On Sep 11, 2004, at 10:16 PM, Tom King Catch Account wrote:

      > does anyone have a memory map for the NSLU?
      >
      > tom
      >
      > Jim Thompson writes:
      >
      >> yes if you're going to try to set breakpoints, etc.
      >>
      >> no if all you want to be able to do is whack new flash bits into the
      >> flash. That only requires driving the right
      >> signals on the JTAG 'bus'. Setting breakpoints, reading registers,
      >> setting up memory, etc, etc all require that
      >> the JTAG 'understands' the scan chains in the CPU.
      >>
      >> As Mark said, the BDI2000 supports this (with the correct f/w
      >> on-board).
      >>
      >> Even the "parallel port" JTAG widgets should be able to drive the
      >> flash
      >> bus though.
      >>
      >> Jim
    • David Farrell
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
        Those interesed in JTAG
        Go to ARM site and look for standard JTAG headers
        and wire one to follow the standard.

        Get a Macraigor wiggler (or clone) to connect to
        the port.

        Download OCD Commander from Macraigor.

        It you completely crashed you NSLU2, it is best
        to setup a script to program SDRAM controller.

        You could also setup scripts to block erase and
        write flash.

        gumstix has a SDRAM script example (for scale
        PXA255) and notes for their board, so review the
        gumstick mail on sf.

        This assumes a windows host. Macraigor also has
        a driver than serves up the wiggler on ethernet
        via a windows host to gbd (on linux).

        I have used the wiggler on a number of different
        boards, its usefull to learn how to use it.

        David.
      • Roy M. Silvernail
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
          On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 09:33, David Farrell wrote:
          > Those interesed in JTAG

          [...]

          > This assumes a windows host.

          For those of us with a JTAG interest and no Windows hosts at hand,
          what's the consensus for a pure Linux approach?
          --
          Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
          "Progress, like reality, is not optional." - R. A. Hettinga
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
            Have a look at www.jelie.org. It works under Linux and should provide
            all you need for debugging and downloading to the Flash.

            Good luck,
            Daniel