optware PHP upgraded to 5.1.4

  • Brian Zhou
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2006
      Hi all,

      Since jp30 is quite busy, I took the liberty of upgrading PHP to
      5.1.4. I did some runtime testing and at least the combination of
      cherokee + php-fcgi + dokuwiki is working. This upgrade affects
      apache/php, thttpd/php and quite a few other combinations, so please
      help by testing more and reporting either bug or success.

      In case of anything goes wrong, I applied a CVS tag PHP_5_0_4 on PHP
      5.0.4 files, upgraded to PHP 5.0.5, then applied a PHP_5_0_5 tag.

      Hopefully I did not break too many things.

      -Brian Zhou
    • Matthias Appel pTweety
      Message 2 of 7 , May 9, 2006
        Brian Zhou wrote:

        > Since jp30 is quite busy, I took the liberty of upgrading PHP to
        > 5.1.4. I did some runtime testing and at least the combination of
        > cherokee + php-fcgi + dokuwiki is working. This upgrade affects
        > apache/php, thttpd/php and quite a few other combinations, so please
        > help by testing more and reporting either bug or success.

        I tired with lighttpd, eaccelerator and php-fcgi but got that error:

        # php-fcgi -v
        Failed loading /opt/lib/php/extensions/eaccelerator.so:
        /opt/lib/php/extensions/eaccelerator.so: undefined symbol: empty_string
        PHP 5.1.4 (cgi-fcgi) (built: May 8 2006 10:07:26)
        Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
        Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies

        The same result with `php -v`.

        --
        MFG Matthias

        Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing.
      • Robert Hammond
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2006
          In message <77464669.20060510000633@...>, Matthias Appel
          <lists@...> writes
          >Brian Zhou wrote:
          >
          >> Since jp30 is quite busy, I took the liberty of upgrading PHP to
          >> 5.1.4. I did some runtime testing and at least the combination of
          >> cherokee + php-fcgi + dokuwiki is working. This upgrade affects
          >> apache/php, thttpd/php and quite a few other combinations, so please
          >> help by testing more and reporting either bug or success.
          >
          >I tired with lighttpd, eaccelerator and php-fcgi but got that error:
          >
          ># php-fcgi -v
          >Failed loading /opt/lib/php/extensions/eaccelerator.so:
          > /opt/lib/php/extensions/eaccelerator.so: undefined symbol: empty_string
          >PHP 5.1.4 (cgi-fcgi) (built: May 8 2006 10:07:26)
          >Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
          >Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies

          /opt/bin/php-fcgi -v
          I see something very similar. I do not see the error above with
          eaccelerator.so, it seems to be missing from the above folder tree.
          Note that I have never loaded this optware package.

          I see two other similar errors where dbx.so and dio.so have failed to
          load and are missing from /opt/lib/php/extensions/

          Also with /opt/bin/php -v

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 7 , May 9, 2006
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
            wrote:

            > In message <77464669.20060510000633@...>, Matthias Appel
            > ># php-fcgi -v
            > >Failed loading /opt/lib/php/extensions/eaccelerator.so:
            > > /opt/lib/php/extensions/eaccelerator.so: undefined symbol:
            empty_string
            > >PHP 5.1.4 (cgi-fcgi) (built: May 8 2006 10:07:26)
            > >Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
            > >Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies
            > >
            > /opt/bin/php-fcgi -v
            > I see something very similar. I do not see the error above with
            > eaccelerator.so, it seems to be missing from the above folder tree.
            > Note that I have never loaded this optware package.
            >
            > I see two other similar errors where dbx.so and dio.so have failed to
            > load and are missing from /opt/lib/php/extensions/
            >
            > Also with /opt/bin/php -v

            According to

            http://www.php.net/README_UPGRADE_51.php#extensions1

            dbx.so and dio.so are removed from PHP core starting from 5.1. That's
            why I also removed these two extensions from the default
            /opt/etc/php.ini. If you choose keep your old php.ini during upgrade,
            it can cause problem.

            For eaccelerator, very likely it's because of version mismatch.
            Although there are comments on
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/MediaWiki advice against using
            eaccelerator. I will try to build an eaccelerator with the matching
            PHP version and test.

            -Brian Zhou
          • Brian Zhou
            Message 5 of 7 , May 9, 2006
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

              > For eaccelerator, very likely it's because of version mismatch.
              > Although there are comments on
              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/MediaWiki advice against using
              > eaccelerator. I will try to build an eaccelerator with the matching
              > PHP version and test.
              >
              > -Brian Zhou

              Confirmed, eaccelerator 0.9.2a-4 does not work with php >= 5.1. Even
              0.9.4 does not compile with php >= 5.1. With 0.9.5-beta2, it works fine.

              $ php-fcgi -v
              PHP 5.1.4 (cgi-fcgi) (built: May 7 2006 22:16:12)
              Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
              Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies
              with eAccelerator v0.9.5-beta2, Copyright (c) 2004-2006
              eAccelerator, by eAccelerator

              Right now cvs.sf.net is down, I will check in the eaccelerator upgrade
              once it's back.

              -Brian Zhou
            • Robert Hammond
              Message 6 of 7 , May 10, 2006
                In message <e3ror2+sebc@...>, Brian Zhou <b88zhou@...>
                writes
                >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
                >wrote:
                >>
                >> In message <77464669.20060510000633@...>, Matthias Appel
                >> ># php-fcgi -v
                >> >Failed loading /opt/lib/php/extensions/eaccelerator.so:
                >> > /opt/lib/php/extensions/eaccelerator.so: undefined symbol:
                >empty_string
                >> >PHP 5.1.4 (cgi-fcgi) (built: May 8 2006 10:07:26)
                >> >Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
                >> >Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies
                >> >
                >> /opt/bin/php-fcgi -v
                >> I see something very similar. I do not see the error above with
                >> eaccelerator.so, it seems to be missing from the above folder tree.
                >> Note that I have never loaded this optware package.
                >>
                >> I see two other similar errors where dbx.so and dio.so have failed to
                >> load and are missing from /opt/lib/php/extensions/
                >>
                >> Also with /opt/bin/php -v
                >>

                >According to
                >
                > http://www.php.net/README_UPGRADE_51.php#extensions1
                >
                >dbx.so and dio.so are removed from PHP core starting from 5.1. That's
                >why I also removed these two extensions from the default
                >/opt/etc/php.ini. If you choose keep your old php.ini during upgrade,
                >it can cause problem.

                Agreed, have now removed these from my config file

                >For eaccelerator, very likely it's because of version mismatch.
                >Although there are comments on
                >http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/MediaWiki advice against using
                >eaccelerator. I will try to build an eaccelerator with the matching
                >PHP version and test.

                Was just scanning through a php -i output and noticed that these latest
                versions of PHP seem to be compiled with support for Pcre version 6.6.
                But the current optware version of this package is only at version 5.0.
                So I think that re-compiling Pcre should also be added to the list
                please.
                --
                Robert Hammond
                PGP:0x154144DA
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > In message <e3ror2+sebc@...>, Brian Zhou <b88zhou@...>
                  > writes
                  > >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@>
                  > >wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> In message <77464669.20060510000633@>, Matthias Appel
                  > >empty_string
                  > >> >
                  > >> /opt/bin/php-fcgi -v
                  > >> I see something very similar. I do not see the error above with
                  > >> eaccelerator.so, it seems to be missing from the above folder tree.
                  > >> Note that I have never loaded this optware package.
                  > >>
                  > >> I see two other similar errors where dbx.so and dio.so have failed to
                  > >> load and are missing from /opt/lib/php/extensions/
                  > >>
                  > >> Also with /opt/bin/php -v
                  > >>

                  > >According to
                  > >
                  > > http://www.php.net/README_UPGRADE_51.php#extensions1
                  > >
                  > >dbx.so and dio.so are removed from PHP core starting from 5.1. That's
                  > >why I also removed these two extensions from the default
                  > >/opt/etc/php.ini. If you choose keep your old php.ini during upgrade,
                  > >it can cause problem.
                  > >
                  > Agreed, have now removed these from my config file
                  >
                  > >For eaccelerator, very likely it's because of version mismatch.
                  > >Although there are comments on
                  > >http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/MediaWiki advice against using
                  > >eaccelerator. I will try to build an eaccelerator with the matching
                  > >PHP version and test.
                  > >
                  > Was just scanning through a php -i output and noticed that these latest
                  > versions of PHP seem to be compiled with support for Pcre version 6.6.
                  > But the current optware version of this package is only at version 5.0.
                  > So I think that re-compiling Pcre should also be added to the list
                  > please.
                  > --
                  > Robert Hammond
                  > PGP:0x154144DA

                  Hello there,

                  are there anything new in this case, because i've the same problem and
                  could not became my apache/php/thttp config running.

                  Mario from Vienna / Austria / Europe