Re: [nslu2-linux] Disk administration shut - "incorrect username or password" with Unslung 6.8

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2006
      > The scary part is that when I try to revert to Linksys R63
      > firmware I get an error saying "incorrect filename or format"
      > (or something similar).  Therefor I'm stuck with Unslung
      6.8
      > without possibilities of unSlinging! Bummer!
      Goodness no!  There are NO releases of firmware, Unslung or otherwise, that prevent anyone from reverting to the Linksys firmware, or prevent anyone from flashing any other firmware for that matter.

      As documented, the Linksys "upgrade" WEB GUI page is not supported in Unslung.  You must use the RedBoot mechanism to reflash the firmware.  Check the wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki

      Mike (mwester)
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2006
        > After removing the USB stick
        > I can reach the administration
        pages using user "admin" and my old
        > password (with harddisk attached) or
        "admin" with no disk attached. My
        > problem is that I cannot reach the
        "disk" page under administration!
        > Every time I try I get "Incorrect
        user name or password.".
        Did you reboot, with no disks attached, after removing the USB stick?  Whenever I have observed such a problem (the device being confused about which pages have what password) it is usually because a device containing a passwd file was removed from the NSLU2 while it was running.

        Mike (mwester)
      • blennhed
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2006
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > > After removing the USB stick
          > > I can reach the administration pages using user "admin" and my old
          > > password (with harddisk attached) or "admin" with no disk attached. My
          > > problem is that I cannot reach the "disk" page under administration!
          > > Every time I try I get "Incorrect user name or password.".
          >
          > Did you reboot, with no disks attached, after removing the USB
          stick? Whenever I have observed such a problem (the device being
          confused about which pages have what password) it is usually because a
          device containing a passwd file was removed from the NSLU2 while it
          was running.

          > Mike (mwester)

          Regarding your previous answer: ok, so reverting is possible but a
          little more complex. No problem. Thank you for your reply!

          Regarding password issue - I did reboot as you described. And yes, I
          agree: the problem is most likely a misconfiguration between "admin"
          passwords in internal flash memory and on the external USB harddisk.

          However, I did complete the process of unslinging to the USB harddisk
          (now configured as disk2). It worked like a charm when I gave up
          using the USB stick. The interesting part is that now that I am
          unslung ("have unslung"?) I still have the same password problem! I
          can do absolutely everything with my NSLU2 that unslung 6.8 offers,
          including a successful installation of OpenSSH, but I cannot reach the
          "disk" section of "administration" in the web admin pages!!!
          I have tried accessing administration pages with user admin and
          password "admin", "uNSLUng" and <former password> without success.
          The other administration pages always work, disk pages never.

          Suggestions?

          And once again, thank you for your help!
          Best regards
          /Björn
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2006
            Try clearing your browser cache.  There is no per-page .htaccess file or mechanism, so there is no way that the slug itself could have different authentication for the "disks" page versus the other pages in the "Management" directory.
            Mike (mwester)

            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2006
              wrote:

              > Try clearing your browser cache. There is no per-page .htaccess
              file or mechanism, so there is no way that the slug itself could have
              different authentication for the "disks" page versus the other pages
              in the "Management" directory.
              > Mike (mwester)

              Aha - that's it! Logging in from another computer works, so it should
              work if I clear the cache on yesterday's computer too!!

              Thank you ever so much!
              /Björn