new to nslu2-linux

  • Tom Coburn
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2006
      Hey guys,

      I am currently using the latest Linksys Firmware
       V2.3R63. Came with the one I bought from Amazon,  of the nslu2,  and I would like to install a nslu2-linux firmware on it instead, just so I can access the nslu2  away from home..  (as a file/music server to share with family in other states privately)

      which firmware should I install for this?  Unslug 5.5 beta? or another one?

      I'm basically happy with the stock firmware pretty much, except that I would like to have family be able to access a music server away from home,  is this possible? and if so, can someone walk me thru the steps on how to do this correctly?

      thanks
      Tom
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2006
        On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 19:55 -0400, Tom Coburn wrote:
        > Hey guys,
        >
        > I am currently using the latest Linksys Firmware
        > V2.3R63.
        >
        > which firmware should I install for this? Unslug 5.5 beta? or another
        > one?
        >
        > I'm basically happy with the stock firmware pretty much, except that I
        > would like to have family be able to access a music server away from
        > home, is this possible?

        The 6.8 beta is the unsling version of the V2.3R63.

        Unsling 6.8 is mostly compatable with V2.3R63 but gives you the
        possibility to install extra software.

        --
        Marceln
      • Laurent Gilson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2006
          Hello,

          > which firmware should I install for this? Unslug 5.5 beta? or another
          > one?

          You don't need another firmware if you are willing to take a bit of risk
          (ie rely on windows passwords) and can configure dyndns and a NAT.

          > I'm basically happy with the stock firmware pretty much, except that I
          > would
          > like to have family be able to access a music server away from home, is
          > this possible? and if so, can someone walk me thru the steps on how to do
          > this correctly?

          It depends on your internet connection. Are you using a DSL-router or a
          cable-router ,... ?

          cu
        • Tom Coburn
          Message 4 of 7 , May 6, 2006
            yes, I use Comcast High speed Internet
            and no I don't want to use DynDNS and connect another computer to my router,
            I want to use the nslu2 device, not a computer

            Tom

            Hello,

            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2006
              how do I get  6.8 beta?   5.5 is the latest version on the nslu2-linux.com website,
              how do I get 6.8 beta?

              Message 6 of 7 , May 6, 2006
                oh nevermind, it is now, thanks

                On 5/6/06, Tom Coburn <tcoburn@...> wrote:
                how do I get  6.8 beta?   5.5 is the latest version on the nslu2-linux.com website,
                how do I get 6.8 beta?

                On 5/2/06, Marcel Nijenhof < nslu2@...> wrote:
                On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 19:55 -0400, Tom Coburn wrote:
                > Hey guys,

                > I am currently using the latest Linksys Firmware
                >  V2.3R63.
                >
                > which firmware should I install for this?  Unslug 5.5 beta? or another
                > one?

                > I'm basically happy with the stock firmware pretty much, except that I
                > would like to have family be able to access a music server away from
                > home,  is this possible?

                The 6.8 beta is the unsling version of the V2.3R63.

                Unsling 6.8 is mostly compatable with V2.3R63 but gives you the
                possibility to install extra software.

                • Brian Schneider
                  Message 7 of 7 , May 6, 2006
                    The Unslung binaries are located at http://www.slug-firmware.net/u-dls.php

                    The README file contains the installation notes. You must follow the steps in this README *exactly*.

                    I highly recommend that you test your ability to telnet into Redboot before you flash the Unslung firmware.  I'd also recommend that you read the notes on recovering from a bad flash, as well.

                    Good luck,
                    Brian