Encrypted loopback (AES) with OpenSlug

  • James Covey-Crump
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2006
      I am considering moving from uNSLUng to OpenSlug.

      Can anyone share any experiences with using AES encryption via
      loopback on OpenSlug. I see all the modules are there, but I'm
      concerned about the effect it has on transfer speed (i.e. is the NSLU2
      man enough?)

      I have an "overclocked" (full speed) slug.

      I have found that using XOR encryption on unslung seems to double my
      transfer times (in comparison to unencrypted loopback). This
      surprises me a little.

      Thanks. JamesCC
    • Laurent Gilson
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2006
        Hello,

        > Can anyone share any experiences with using AES encryption via
        > loopback on OpenSlug.

        Yes and no: I do scp's from and to the slug (like ftp, only better). scp
        uses AES for encrypting the data it sends over the network. Unencrypted
        transferrate is about 5-6 MB/s, scp gets 0.5 MB/s.

        > I see all the modules are there, but I'm
        > concerned about the effect it has on transfer speed (i.e. is the NSLU2
        > man enough?)

        IMHO: no.

        > I have an "overclocked" (full speed) slug.

        Me too.

        cu