From NTFS to EXT3, mounting and sharing

  • chandersawh
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      Since I "some others" are experiencing issues with NTFS and large file
      transfers "see
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/message/12784". While this
      is being looked into I am wanting to switch my NTFS drive on Port 1
      (via a usb hub) and make it an ext3 filesystem to be used by RSNAPSHOT
      to backup my data on the root drive (on port 2). I am using version
      6.8 of the unslung firmware ...

      Is "/usr/bin/mkfs.ext3 -m 0 -j /dev/sdc1" the command to make my NTFS
      drive on port 1 into an ext3 filesystem? I DO NOT want my SLUG to be
      "dependent" on newely made ext3 drive. So this isn't considered a
      "Native format", right?

      Here are my current mounts:

      /dev/sda1 on /initrd type jffs2 (rw)
      /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
      /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
      usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
      /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw,noatime)
      /dev/sda2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
      /dev/sdc1 on /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_2_1 type ufsd (rw) # --------> I
      want to make this an ext3 filesys
      none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)

      Assuming that the filesystem is made with that command ... I read in a
      thread that "...you can do so (so being making ext3 filesys) but
      you'll have to mount and share the filesystems yourself as the Linksys
      utilities don't know what to do with them"

      How do I do this? What would the /etc/fstab look like?

      Lastly, if there is a better way or I am completely wrong please share
      some information on how to do this?

      Thanks

      narsaw