debianslug and topfield

  • Carsten Truckenbrodt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2006
      Hello,

      I had everything running for transfering files from the topfield to
      the harddrive attached to the NSLU2. Installation was months ago, so
      it took some time until I realised after a harddisk crash, that I
      installed at that time opendebianslug and now I started with debianslug.

      So far so good. puppy and ftpd-topfield have compiled but do not
      work. After looking into the problem I found out, that with the 2.6
      kernel I got the following message when I start puppy:

      ERROR: Can not perform autodetection.
      ERROR: /proc/bus/usb/devices can not be open for reading.
      ERROR: No such file or directory

      Before I start looking deeper into this: Has someone already puppy or
      ftpd-topfield compiled and running with the lates debianslug?

      Regards,
      Carsten
    • thenabson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Carsten Truckenbrodt <carsten@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I had everything running for transfering files from the topfield to
        > the harddrive attached to the NSLU2. Installation was months ago, so
        > it took some time until I realised after a harddisk crash, that I
        > installed at that time opendebianslug and now I started with debianslug.
        >
        > So far so good. puppy and ftpd-topfield have compiled but do not
        > work. After looking into the problem I found out, that with the 2.6
        > kernel I got the following message when I start puppy:
        >
        > ERROR: Can not perform autodetection.
        > ERROR: /proc/bus/usb/devices can not be open for reading.
        > ERROR: No such file or directory
        >
        > Before I start looking deeper into this: Has someone already puppy or
        > ftpd-topfield compiled and running with the lates debianslug?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Carsten

        Hi Carsten,

        I find myself in a similar situation to you - but I don't really know
        enough about linux to try and compile puppy. Did you ever get it to work?

        Regards

        Nick
      • Carsten Truckenbrodt
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1 3:53 AM
          Am 31.07.2006, 21:24 Uhr, schrieb thenabson <nick.abson@...>:

          Hello Nick,

          >> So far so good. puppy and ftpd-topfield have compiled but do not
          >> work. After looking into the problem I found out, that with the 2.6
          >> kernel I got the following message when I start puppy:
          >>
          >> ERROR: Can not perform autodetection.
          >> ERROR: /proc/bus/usb/devices can not be open for reading.
          >> ERROR: No such file or directory
          >>
          >> Before I start looking deeper into this: Has someone already puppy or
          >> ftpd-topfield compiled and running with the lates debianslug?
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >> Carsten
          >>
          > Hi Carsten,
          >
          > I find myself in a similar situation to you - but I don't really know
          > enough about linux to try and compile puppy. Did you ever get it to
          > work?

          No and Yes. No, not with debianslug since at that time it would have been
          neccessary to compile a new kernel where I did not had the time to install
          all the neccessary cross-compiling tools and closed source ethernet driver
          stuff.
          Yes, because I installed the old opendebianslug port where the kernel had
          the neccessary configurations to show the USB settings in the /proc
          filesystem which made puppy and ftpd-topfield possible to compile and run.
          Since this is 1/2 a year ago, there might already be another solution with
          the current changes.

          ct