Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Upslug2 not working

  • Michael Homscheidt
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2006
      Yes, for sure ;-)

      Michael.

      I assume one of you updated the FAQ on the wiki ...

      -- Rod

      On 4/30/06, Michael Homscheidt <michael.homscheidt@web.de> wrote:
      >    Hello Carsten,
      >
      >  thanks for this hint. With the 'port install libcpap' command
      >  executed the flashing of Unslung 6.8 was possible. I hop e not tp
      >  encounter any other problems (ähem).
      >
      >  Regards
      >  Michael.
      >
      >  > Hello Michael,
      >  >
      >  > try also a "port install libpcap" I think there is a remark in the
      >  > readme that the preinstalled libpcap does not work with upslug2.
      >  > You need also to run it as root and give as an additional argument
      >  > the filename of the image.
      >  >
      >  > That worked for me.
      >  >
      >  > Regards,
      >  > Carsten

      >  Communication and networking
      >   Wireless communication and networking
      >   Linksys nslu2

      >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      >
      >  ________________________________

      Communication and networking Wireless communication and networking Linksys nslu2

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Michael Homscheidt (mailto: Michael.Homscheidt@web.de)

      Oswald-Bieber-Weg 4 - 81241 München

      Tel.: 089 - 82 07 39 26

      A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems. - Paul Erdos

    • Roger Nilsson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2006
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Michael Homscheidt
        <michael.homscheidt@...> wrote:

        You have already recieved help and also updated the wiki (which I
        forgot to do when upslug2 was fixed for OSX) but i'll send this anyway...

        > (2) I downloaded the upslug2-11 release from http://www.nslu2-
        > linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2 page. I unpackd the tar-archive an run ./
        > upslug2 --device en0 (en0 is the device under Mac OS X, not eth0) as
        > root. The following error message appears:
        >
        > ./upslug2 --device en0
        > dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libpcap.0.dylib
        > Referenced from: /Users/Shared/Infrastruktur/NSLU2/upslug2-11-
        > osx/./upslug2
        > Reason: image not found
        > Trace/BPT trap
        >
        > I don't know what this means besides the libpcap.0.dylib is not
        > installed. But it is nowhere installed (as root: find / -name libpcap.
        > 0.dylib -print gives no result.

        As you have already been informed upslug2 requires a more recent
        version of libpcap than OSX provides installed from either Darwinports
        (tested) or Fink (untested) to use upslug2. This is written in the
        README.macosx that should be included in the tarball. Although I admit
        that it is not clearly written that it is needed also in order to run
        upslug2 and not just during compilation :) I will submit a patch to
        improve the readme as soon as I get some time to do so :)

        > (3) After that I decided to download the sources for upslug2-11 and
        > build my own upslug2. After installing Darwinports also the 'make'
        > and 'make install' succeeded and I had my self-made upslug2. But now
        > I get the following error messages:
        >
        > ./upslug2 --device en0
        > broadcast: Bad file descriptor: transmit error
        > [N12NSLU2Upgrade9SendErrorE]
        >

        > Did I do something wrong or is there an error in the upslug2-tool?
        > Why for example is the default ethernet interface 'eth0' if on Mac OS
        > X machines it seems to be always 'en0'?

        At the time I helped John to get upslug2 running on OSX I didn't
        bother asking him to change it to 'en0' for OSX (I was using 'en1' so
        I had to specify the device anyway). I might prepare a patch for that too.

        > Regards
        > Michael.

        /Roger