Re: [nslu2-linux] Unslung 6.8 crash w/ large NTFS transfers

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
      I am running unslung 6.8, USB2 = Native formatted EXT3, USB1 = NTFS
      250GB drive. When attempting to move large amounts of data from NTFS
      the SLUG (or vice versa) it crahes, light are all on but no one is home??

      Any fixes?

      Thanks
      ----------------------------

      Nope, no fixes -- but I'd love to help work identifying this problem and
      seeing if a fix is possible or practical.

      So, for those who have encountered this sort of issue with Unslung and NTFS:

      Is this reproducable? Does it happen with a certain size file, or is it
      random (this is important)? Can you telnet into the NSLU2 when this
      happens? What happens to a telnet session that is open *while* the transfer
      is occuring? What is the content of the /var/log/messages file -- does it
      contain any information that might help track this down?
      Can you provide any additional information on the non-NSLU2 parts of the
      configuration -- type/mfgr of the drive and enclosure on both USB port 1 and
      2, what type of network (10 or 100MB), and what type of system is on the
      other end of the transfer (Windows of some sort, I presume)? Also, what
      non-default settings are you using (Language? Any customizations to the
      Samba configuration files? Is the NTFS volume mounted manually, or
      automatically mounted and shared by the NSLU2?) Does anyone encountering
      this or a similar problem have a serial console on their NSLU2?

      Many other questions... but let's see if any of the above can "tease out" a
      promising thread that might lead us to identification and a possible
      solution...

      Thanks,
      Mike (mwester)
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
        On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 11:21 -0500, Mike (mwester) wrote:
> [...]

        Can somebody explain me the advantage of ntfs on the slug?

        It isn't even possible to store the permissions with ntfs in
        a normal way.

        So the only reason to use ntfs on the slug is for disks
        which are used mostly under windows.

        --
        Marceln
      • Norberto Pennini
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
          HI, my NSLU2 also crash at random with large NTFS files but my NSLU2 have the original firmware 2.3R63.

          Cheers

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
            Is this reproducable?

            Yes, everytime I've tried to moved files manuall from my natively
            formatted drive to the NTFS drive this happens. Also happens if using
            something like rsync to do backups from EXT->NTFS. I believe the
            problem happens if I try to COPY from NTFS->EXT (Native)

            Can you telnet into the NSLU2 when this happens?

            When this happens I cannot get the slug to respond to my ssh/telnet
            login attempt. Just hangs and eventually times out.

            What happens to a telnet session that is open *while* the transfer is
            occuring?

            An established session will hang, no response, no cntrl-z, cntrl-c,
            etc response.

            What is the content of the /var/log/messages file -- does it
            contain any information that might help track this down?

            I didn't noticed anything out of the ordinary. But I cannot remember
            looking hard at this log. I am sure i did though.

            As far an hardware, The NTFS drive is a maxtor Diamond MAX 9, in an
            enclosre that I've used to for months on the SLUG without problems.
            Can't get the brand info.

            This problem when I tried moving data from windows (via a mapped NTFS
            drive) to NTFS drive on the SLUG. Also happens if transferring files
            internally with the SLUG system (i.e Native to NTFS).

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>