Upslug2 not working

  • Michael Homscheidt
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2006
      Hello,

      I just tried to update from Unslung 5.5 to 6.8. On my Mac I tried to
      use upslug2 (with RedBoot Upgrade mode) but had no success in running
      upslug.

      (1) I had a direct ethernet connection established to the slug which
      was in RedBoot upgrade mode (identified by the red/green blinking
      status LED)

      (2) I downloaded the upslug2-11 release from http://www.nslu2-
      linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2 page. I unpackd the tar-archive an run ./
      upslug2 --device en0 (en0 is the device under Mac OS X, not eth0) as
      root. The following error message appears:

      ./upslug2 --device en0
      dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libpcap.0.dylib
      Referenced from: /Users/Shared/Infrastruktur/NSLU2/upslug2-11-
      osx/./upslug2
      Reason: image not found
      Trace/BPT trap

      I don't know what this means besides the libpcap.0.dylib is not
      installed. But it is nowhere installed (as root: find / -name libpcap.
      0.dylib -print gives no result.

      (3) After that I decided to download the sources for upslug2-11 and
      build my own upslug2. After installing Darwinports also the 'make'
      and 'make install' succeeded and I had my self-made upslug2. But now
      I get the following error messages:

      ./upslug2 --device en0
      broadcast: Bad file descriptor: transmit error
      [N12NSLU2Upgrade9SendErrorE]

      Did I do something wrong or is there an error in the upslug2-tool?
      Why for example is the default ethernet interface 'eth0' if on Mac OS
      X machines it seems to be always 'en0'?

      Any help is appreciated...

      Regards
      Michael.
    • Carsten Truckenbrodt
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 29, 2006
        Hello Michael,

        try also a "port install libpcap" I think there is a remark in the readme that the preinstalled libpcap does not work with upslug2. You need also to run it as root and give as an additional argument the filename of the image.

        That worked for me.

        Regards,
        Carsten

        Am 29.04.2006 um 18:49 schrieb Michael Homscheidt:

[...]

        Communication and networking Wireless communication and networking Linksys nslu2

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Michael Homscheidt
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
          Hello Carsten,

          thanks for this hint. With the 'port install libcpap' command
          executed the flashing of Unslung 6.8 was possible. I hop e not tp
          encounter any other problems (ähem).

          Regards
          Michael.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
            I assume one of you updated the FAQ on the wiki ...

            -- Rod

            On 4/30/06, Michael Homscheidt <michael.homscheidt@...> wrote:
            > Hello Carsten,
            >
            > thanks for this hint. With the 'port install libcpap' command
            > executed the flashing of Unslung 6.8 was possible. I hop e not tp
            > encounter any other problems (ähem).
            >
            > Regards
            > Michael.
            >
            > > Hello Michael,
            > >
            > > try also a "port install libpcap" I think there is a remark in the
            > > readme that the preinstalled libpcap does not work with upslug2.
            > > You need also to run it as root and give as an additional argument
            > > the filename of the image.
            > >
            > > That worked for me.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Carsten

            > Communication and networking
            > Wireless communication and networking
            > Linksys nslu2

            > ________________________________

          • Michael Homscheidt
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2006
              Yes, for sure ;-)

              Michael.

              On 4/30/06, Michael Homscheidt <michael.homscheidt@web.de> wrote:
              >    Hello Carsten,
              >
              >  thanks for this hint. With the 'port install libcpap' command
              >  executed the flashing of Unslung 6.8 was possible. I hop e not tp
              >  encounter any other problems (ähem).
              >
              >  Regards
              >  Michael.
              >
              >  > Hello Michael,
              >  >
              >  > try also a "port install libpcap" I think there is a remark in the
              >  > readme that the preinstalled libpcap does not work with upslug2.
              >  > You need also to run it as root and give as an additional argument
              >  > the filename of the image.
              >  >
              >  > That worked for me.
              >  >
              >  > Regards,
              >  > Carsten

              >  Communication and networking
              >   Wireless communication and networking
              >   Linksys nslu2

              >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
              >
              >  ________________________________

              Communication and networking Wireless communication and networking Linksys nslu2

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Michael Homscheidt (mailto: Michael.Homscheidt@web.de)

              Oswald-Bieber-Weg 4 - 81241 München

              Tel.: 089 - 82 07 39 26

              A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems. - Paul Erdos

            • Roger Nilsson
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2006
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Michael Homscheidt
                <michael.homscheidt@...> wrote:

                You have already recieved help and also updated the wiki (which I
                forgot to do when upslug2 was fixed for OSX) but i'll send this anyway...

                > (2) I downloaded the upslug2-11 release from http://www.nslu2-
                > linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2 page. I unpackd the tar-archive an run ./
                > upslug2 --device en0 (en0 is the device under Mac OS X, not eth0) as
                > root. The following error message appears:
                >
                > ./upslug2 --device en0
                > dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libpcap.0.dylib
                > Referenced from: /Users/Shared/Infrastruktur/NSLU2/upslug2-11-
                > osx/./upslug2
                > Reason: image not found
                > Trace/BPT trap
                >
                > I don't know what this means besides the libpcap.0.dylib is not
                > installed. But it is nowhere installed (as root: find / -name libpcap.
                > 0.dylib -print gives no result.

                As you have already been informed upslug2 requires a more recent
                version of libpcap than OSX provides installed from either Darwinports
                (tested) or Fink (untested) to use upslug2. This is written in the
                README.macosx that should be included in the tarball. Although I admit
                that it is not clearly written that it is needed also in order to run
                upslug2 and not just during compilation :) I will submit a patch to
                improve the readme as soon as I get some time to do so :)

                > (3) After that I decided to download the sources for upslug2-11 and
                > build my own upslug2. After installing Darwinports also the 'make'
                > and 'make install' succeeded and I had my self-made upslug2. But now
                > I get the following error messages:
                >
                > ./upslug2 --device en0
                > broadcast: Bad file descriptor: transmit error
                > [N12NSLU2Upgrade9SendErrorE]
                >

                > Did I do something wrong or is there an error in the upslug2-tool?
                > Why for example is the default ethernet interface 'eth0' if on Mac OS
                > X machines it seems to be always 'en0'?

                At the time I helped John to get upslug2 running on OSX I didn't
                bother asking him to change it to 'en0' for OSX (I was using 'en1' so
                I had to specify the device anyway). I might prepare a patch for that too.

                > Regards
                > Michael.

                /Roger